We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uber quality in KK?

Level Contributor
96 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Uber quality in KK?

Hi,

Debating as to whether to use local taxi, ras ria limo service or order an Uber from KK airport. Can anyone comment on quality of Uber drivers and vehicles there?

15 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
596 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uber quality in KK?

Mark M,

I have not used uber in Sabah but the taxis are the same. Uber is available.

There are red standard saloon cars and SUV's which most are owner drivers. The red cars are very basic, the owner/suv's are immaculately clean and we have always had a excellent service from all drivers .

I take it you are going up to Rasa Ria?

The fare is per vehicle not per person it will be in the region of MR130-150 each way.

There is a taxi kiosk as you leave KKIA buy a coupon then hand it to your driver, prevents fraudulent price hikes.

The taxis we have used are cash or coupon only, have not been in one that takes credit cards as yet.

uk
Level Contributor
981 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uber quality in KK?

Rasa Ria in-house service (A/C Toyota / Nissan MiniVan) was RM 267 per vehicle, per way when i last visited in January 2017, bit of a rip off.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uber quality in KK?

Hi

Going to KK this weekend.

Can anyone suggest an airport transfer to Sutera Pacific? We have 4 persons, 2 golf bags and 3 medium size lugguages.

Any link or contact for transfer arrangement? Any idea of cost?

Thanks.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
596 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uber quality in KK?

happytrips2128,

Okay ,

Am I correct,

You want to go to Sutera harbour resort from the Airport(KKIA)

Okay.

1/ Go to taxi kiosk near exit of KK airport.

2/ Pay for fare. Get coupon from kiosk, give coupon to driver , arrive at hotel.

3/ Cost per vehicle will be approximately MR40-50 it is a 15minute drive from the airport. Not cost per person

4/ Should fit all of that in a standard SUV no problem.

5/Buy your coupon at the taxi kiosk on leaving the KK airport for the best price.

6/ If you have difficulties contact you hotel so they can speak for you.

City of Greater...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uber quality in KK?

Do they have taxi's available for 5 people plus luggage?

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uber quality in KK?

Yes, go for Premier Taxi, they will provide Toyota Innova.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Uber quality in KK?

I have travelled extensively all over Malaysia and its islands and every airport transfer has been extremely simple and always exactly the same method: See David N, post 4.

For personal reasons I would avoid using Uber in any country as I don't like their reputation.

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
34 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Uber quality in KK?

Uber quality in Kota Kinabalu is the same everywhere that I traveled. The app does give a rating scale on the driver so quality usually would be based on their rating. You also would see what type of car the driver is driving with.

If the car is too small, get another Uber as many of them are very near to the airport usually.

Beside Uber, Grab is also a car-sharing app that have the same function as Uber.

Both Uber and Grab usually would have an special promotion (like a RM5 discount). You also can get a quotation on how much it will cost in advance with both apps.

As someone who lives in KK, Uber and Grab is definitely a cheaper way to travel compare to the exorbitant taxi prices.

Have fun in KK!

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
38 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Uber quality in KK?

Use uber/grab, if you don't want to get chopped by taxis

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Uber quality in KK?

I've tried Uber in KK and it's quite reliable and easy to use especially if you've been using it before elsewhere. Fares are calculated automatically in the app so there's less chance of you being overcharged when using the normal taxis.

Reply to: Uber quality in KK?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu