We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tabin Wildlife Reserve or Deramakot Forest Reserve?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Tabin Wildlife Reserve or Deramakot Forest Reserve?

Hey everyone,

I'm currently trying to decide between going to Tabin or Deramkot. I hear both are great, Tabin has the pull of being a primary forest whilst Deramakot is supposedly quieter (tourism wise) with just as good wildlife. I am interested to hear from anyone who has done both, has knowledge of both OR has been to at least one of the reserves and the pro's and con's of going there.

Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
uk
Level Contributor
980 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tabin Wildlife Reserve or Deramakot Forest Reserve?

The accessible areas of Tabin are secondary forest, logged back in the 1970's / 1980's, the small patch of primary forest is inaccessible, however, all i can tell you, after much research - is that it was second on my list after Danum Valley, and also first on my list this coming year. Neither are particulary touristy, although i can't comment further as i have not visited either as yet.

uk
Level Contributor
980 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tabin Wildlife Reserve or Deramakot Forest Reserve?

Splash the extra £ and go to Borneo Rainforest Lodge :)

Hagerman, Idaho
Level Contributor
763 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tabin Wildlife Reserve or Deramakot Forest Reserve?

I am/was in a similar situation and decided on Deramakot for later this year. My interests are in seeing civets and cats and binturongs over orangutans and elephants and liked the idea of staying at a research center over a high priced lodge. If you are travelling solo, Tabin might be easier to book. Also note, signprint is talking about Danum and not Deramakot. Danum also has a research area you can stay at for a lot less than the lodge, all depends on what you are looking for.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
599 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tabin Wildlife Reserve or Deramakot Forest Reserve?

serval_girl

I you like Civets, while in Sabah try Kopi Luwak.

Just a thought.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
833 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tabin Wildlife Reserve or Deramakot Forest Reserve?

Danum has two new accommodations outside Borneo Rainforest Lodge, one being an old research center and one new accommodation.

Check Borneo Eco Tours.

uk
Level Contributor
980 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tabin Wildlife Reserve or Deramakot Forest Reserve?

New Kawag Danum Rainforest Lodge video is here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02wLx2_-9Ww

Boston...
Level Contributor
9 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tabin Wildlife Reserve or Deramakot Forest Reserve?

@David N, if you take a cursory look into how kopi luwak is produced (even on wiki!) you'll see why a fan of civets or any wildlife enthusiast would never drink it. The cruelty involved is shocking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Hagerman, Idaho
Level Contributor
763 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tabin Wildlife Reserve or Deramakot Forest Reserve?

You've likely gone already. But I 100% recommend Deramakot. Lodging was basic but nice. Food was great. There was just me a couple the driver and the guide. We saw ALL of the things! Orangutans sun bear gibbons clouded leopards marbled cat leopard cat moon rat tarsier colugo bats yellow throated Martin, 4 types of civet. It was the most amazing animal viewing I've experienced and I used to work in the bush in Tanzania!

Reply to: Tabin Wildlife Reserve or Deramakot Forest Reserve?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu