We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for 1 week in Kinabalu - September

Derby
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for 1 week in Kinabalu - September

My partner and I are trying to plan a 8 day spell of our holiday in September when we will be in Borneo. We currently just have flights out of Kinabalu at the end of the 8 days. However, we're finding research confusing and we'd REALLY appreciate your help.

Quick background, we don't think we're up to climbing mount kinabalu and we're not interested in diving (though are interested in wildlife). Finally, we are determined to spent 1 or 2 nights at the Rasa Ria.

With that said, we'd really appreciate advise on the following questions:

- Should we spend the whole 8 days in KK or should we spend some time in Kurching also?

- We've read about 'island hopping' near KK, what is this and how does it work?

- If we are seeing Orangs at the Rasa Ria, should we bother with Sepilok?

- We're interested in 'Turtle Island' but can we only combine this with Sepilok?

- Where are jungle stays and how to we book one?

- How easy is it to book day trips when out there and would KK be a good hub to do day trips from?

Finally, we're interested in a jungle stay, perhaps the hot springs and nature. We'd also be interested in visiting a longhouse but are confused where these are.

In short, we're finding it hard piecing the trip together. Please help with suggested itinaries/advice!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,808 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for 1 week in Kinabalu - September

Hi

Welcome to the Malayisan forums.

Kuching is in Sarawak and Kota Kinabalu is in Sabah. Both are very different parts of Borneo. Travelling between the 2 would be easy by flying, but will waste a day or 2 of your 8 days. Stay in KK, and if you like the area head to Kuching another time when you can experiance the Sarawak area.

Island hopping is visiting the 5 islands in Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park, which are just off KK town. Either by a tour company, or a diving / snorkelling operators like Downbelow, or do it yourself with a boat from Jesselton Quay.

Personally, this is a very personal thing. Stick with Rasa Ria for your Orang-utan experiance. Much more rewarding.

Yes you can do a tour that includes Sepilok and the Turtle Island. There are many companies operating, we used Wildlife Expeditions without any issues or problems.

Kinbatangan River offers jungle stays. Google Kinbatangan River for companies offering these trips.

KK is an excellent base for day trips. We stayed at the Rasa Ria, then in Le Meridien for the tours and trips. Again google day trips Kota Kinabalu for many companies.

If you google longhouses sabah you will find companies offering trips to longhouses. It is not cheap.

Why not your first few days in Rasa Ria, see the Orang-utans as many times as you want. Then head to KK. If the Orang-utan experiance at Rasa Ria left you wanting more then you could do a trip to Sandakan to do Sepilok, Labut Bay Proboscics monkey sanctauary, Turtle Island, then back to KK, do various trips.

It will all come done to what your final must do's will be. Once you have this you will probaly see a natural itinerary.

Have fun and happy planning

England
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for 1 week in Kinabalu - September

Hi,

Even if your not going to climb the mountain i would definitely recommend one or two nights there, it is beautiful with lots of easy going trails where you can admire the wildlife. Another great spot for wildlife is the Kinabatangan River, when i visited i was lucky enough to see Bornean Pygmy Elephants!!! Also instead of Turtle Island have you thought about Lankayan? I booked my trip including jungle stays through Downbelow, also mentioned above for visiting the islands. They were really helpful and managed to get us exactly what we wanted. Here is there website www.divedownbelow.com

Enjoy your trip!!

3. Re: Advice for 1 week in Kinabalu - September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2010, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu
Recent Conversations