We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where are the best stop overs on the drive from PC to David?

Chicago, Illinois
9 posts
Save Topic
Where are the best stop overs on the drive from PC to David?

We are renting an SUV at PTY and planning on driving to David. We want to limit our driving to 4 to 5 hours per day. We were considering stopping in Santiago, but was discouraged by online comments. Any ideas on a nice small laid back town on the way or a bit off track? Sona, canazas, La Mesa look nice but can not seem to find any lodging. If we stop in El Valle is our second half of drive too long?

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,899 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where are the best stop overs on the drive from PC to David?

What day and what time are you arriving at Tocumen? What I would recommend depends a lot on what time you're setting out from Tocumen and anticipating the volume of traffic you're going to be hit with when you go through/around Panama City. Also, why are you bothering to rent an SUV?

Chicago, Illinois
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where are the best stop overs on the drive from PC to David?

we are staying in pc the first night (get in early am) and leaving the city mid morning. We rented an SUV because of past driving trips in Costa Rica and Nicaragua. We have transitioned from rough travelers to comfortable travelers. But, still able to be flexible with lodging. Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,899 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where are the best stop overs on the drive from PC to David?

Given that time frame, I would make the first stop in Santa Fe. It's up in the mountains above Santiago. Very picturesque and not very touristy. It will take you a little over 5 hours to get there from Panama City.

Even though you like "comfortable," you won't need an SUV for your trip.

I know people say that there's nothing in Santiago worth stopping for, but it really is a nice, small city. I found a delightful Peruvian restaurant there. Granted, there aren't a lot of tourist attractions, but my wife and I liked the city. You can get there from Panama City in about four hours.

chitre
Level Contributor
146 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where are the best stop overs on the drive from PC to David?

Chitre,in The Azuero Peninsula is roughly between daivd and P.City

Las Lajas, Panama
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where are the best stop overs on the drive from PC to David?

Las Lajas, 10 minutes from the Panamerican there's a huge wonderful beach.

chitre
Level Contributor
146 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where are the best stop overs on the drive from PC to David?

Chitre,the gateway into the Azuero Peninsula!

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where are the best stop overs on the drive from PC to David?

Just returned from a kayaking trip around the Boca Brava area...another option to consider in additon to the good ones already recommended.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
68 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where are the best stop overs on the drive from PC to David?

I will be making the same drive next month, thanks for the stop off suggestions.

So how early should we be out of PC to avoid the worst of the traffic? We get in the afternoon before, staying 1 night in PC, planning on a 6am take off via car heading to Boquete. Is 6 am early enough to beat the worst of the traffic?

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,899 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where are the best stop overs on the drive from PC to David?

Most of the traffic is going into the city, not out of it. However, within the city, it starts getting bad before 7:00 AM. I take it you plan to pick up your car at Tocumen and park it over night? I hope you've picked a hotel that has secure parking and you have decent directions on how to get to it. I also recommend taking taxis in the city if you're going anywhere in the afternoon or evening.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
68 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where are the best stop overs on the drive from PC to David?

Yes, picking up the car at PTY. Got the directions to the hotel, and it does have secure parking. I believe you gave me a dinner recommendation a few weeks back! We will be cabbing it for dinner. Thanks again for your help.