We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kavieng New Ireland New Guinea

Alice Springs...
Level Contributor
109 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kavieng New Ireland New Guinea

Hi,

Has any one recently been to Kavieng? we are planning a trip there Jan 08', also we are spending some time in Medang, any info would be great,

Cheers,

Tracey

Sydney Area
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kavieng New Ireland New Guinea

Tracey Hi:

I have been to both Madang and Kavieng on scuba diving trips.

Madang has its waterway scenery, a very pretty sea port. The locals were a very happy smiling people,although this was a couple of years ago but I could not see it changing that much as the locals are very easy about tourists. The local markets were different to our markets you can buy all sorts of items, peanuts, fresh fruit, raw tobacco also touristy stuff, bilums (local carry bags), carvings,etc , but check out the carvings at the major hotels on the waterfront they are a bit better quality, but depends on what you are after of course. Shopping well its New Guinea.(Well behind the times)

Kavieng visit was last year, it is a very simple town, the shops are very old as are the goods you see in them. We stayed at Nusa Island Retreat and scuba dived for the 10 days so we did town a few times. Some ww2 relics all over the place.

Depends where you stay as to what you will see experience. Both towns have high unemployment as they are a subsistence people, however in saying this it does not detract from the towns it adds to the atmosphere.

Both areas are very quite and have their own chalms, I hope you have a good time.

Cheers

Sydney Area
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kavieng New Ireland New Guinea

Tracey Hi:

I have been to both Madang and Kavieng on scuba diving trips.

Madang has its waterway scenery, a very pretty sea port. Although my visit was a couple of years ago, I could not see it changing that much as the locals seemed very easy about tourists, they were were a very happy smiling people. Say hello and smile thsy will geberally beam a huge smile back at at you. The local markets were different to our markets you can buy all sorts of items, pigs, fresh peanuts, fresh tropical fruit of all sorts, raw tobacco at prices you won't believe. They also had touristy stuff, bilums (local carry bags), carvings,etc. Check out the carvings at the major hotels on the waterfront they are of a higher quality and are from the Sepik River areas as well as local stuff, a better quality (alos a better price), but depends on what you are after.Shopping well its New Guinea.(Well behind the times irrespective of what you look at clothes, electricals, etc. A tour taxi won't cost that much but have your local hotel arrange this for you tour around, Sulphur springs, hand made mud pottery, they will make pottery right in front of you.

Kavieng visit was last year, it is a very simple town, the shops are very old as are the goods you see in them. We stayed at Nusa Island Retreat and scuba dived for the 10 days so we did town a few times. Some ww2 relics all over the place.

Depends where you stay as to what you will see experience.

Both towns have high unemployment as they are a subsistence people, some eke out a very basic living selling the local drug of choice ,beetle nut and lime leaves. However in saying this it does not detract from the towns it adds to the atmosphere.

Both areas are very quite and have their own charms, the people are very poor compared to our standards, but they survive. I hope you have a good time.

Cheers

Alice Springs...
Level Contributor
109 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kavieng New Ireland New Guinea

Hi, Thanks so much for your info, I was starting to think nobody would reply. We are spending 5 days in Madang @ the Madang Resort, then 7 days on a private catamaran "Tikitu", I think that Adam & Dani live on Nusa Island who own the cat, then we have 7 days on Kavieng @ the Malagan Beach Resort, I have seen a great video on New Ireland so have a bit of an idea about Kavieng, we are going there just fo r&r, so I think we have got the right place. So looking forward to seeing the water as it's a rare comodity in Alice.. also the lobster, mud crabs and reef fish, guess they have great fresh fruit and veg as well.

Thanks again for replying, what time of the year did you visit?

Cheers,

Tracey

4. Re: Kavieng New Ireland New Guinea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 16:19
Get answers to your questions about Madang