We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with laptop - advisable or not?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling with laptop - advisable or not?

Hey everyone,

I am traveling to the Philippines for the first time in my life and have heard many negative stories about Manila & crime and so on. I am considering taking my laptop with me to Manila, Boracay and Palawan. Would you say it is risky to carry it around? Shall I take it or leave it at home?

Please advise! Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Manila
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with laptop - advisable or not?

Leave it at home. It is too easy for thieves to dispose of. Internet cafes are everywhere - and cheap.

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with laptop - advisable or not?

Agree with FSRP01.

Consider buying a Chinese 7" or 10" Android in Manila - cost around 53euros, works well, easy to carry, and if it gets stolen it's no great loss :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,836 posts
1,981 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with laptop - advisable or not?

Reports of crime are overstated unless you are in small parts of western Mindanao, provided you don't get super inebriated at 0330 in the morning and leave your handbag unattended or walk down a street that lacks lighting.

Nonetheless, I agree - leave it at home.

I am travelling elsewhere plus Phils this Christmas and won't even take a mobile telephone: it's just one more thing to lose (and carry).

Edited: 25 December 2011, 09:54
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,883 posts
1,618 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with laptop - advisable or not?

I beg to differ from the above.

I always bring my laptop and most hotels offer free wifi and at the very least it is available in the lobby for free. I am currently at the Ascot Makati in my room using the free wifi. Very convenient and safe. I do ensure that the laptop is locked away when I am not in the hotel room and should something happen to the laptop travel insurance will cover any losses.

Tommo

Edited: 25 December 2011, 12:43
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling with laptop - advisable or not?

You can bring your laptop but leave it in the hotel and make sure the hotel has a safe. Do not bring out walking with you.

Carry it with you in the airport.

Of course, since you have a lappy, make sure the accomodation that you are staying provide some kind of wi-fi service, either pay or free.

I personally will not bring one. You are on holiday, why increase your liability? Just pop into a internet cafe.

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling with laptop - advisable or not?

well that depends how badly u need it -if u need to be online a lot of the time and dont want to go looking for internet cafe ,also depends on the value of the laptop -have brought mine many times -even to mindanao and nothing has happened to it -sent u some pm also .

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling with laptop - advisable or not?

if it is important to bring, bring it. otherwise its just an added weight. In Manila, even thieves has their own laptop. Unless its the latest state of the art, .......

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling with laptop - advisable or not?

Bring it - and take sensible precautions. It's handy to have it in your hotel. Boracay is very safe provided you are in a decent hotel. Just don't wander the streets of Manila carrying it around!

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,315 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling with laptop - advisable or not?

Bring it..I travel everywhere in Philippines with it and if you have a net book that may be better as not so heavy. There are plenty of hot spots and many many people carry them. I carry mine in my bag so its mixed with clothes etc. I would not walk around carrying it, but I often see people in Manila and Makati doing that. At rush hour you can count them.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling with laptop - advisable or not?

Crime in Manila is no worse/better than many other major cities in the world. On my recent trip I didn't take a laptop because I didn't want to carry it around, but ended up in situations where I could have used it. I borrowed my niece's netbook and had no problems with any attempted thefts. Just take standard precautions.