We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend: using bicycles!

Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Recommend: using bicycles!

I just came back from Kyoto. Me and my wife rented bicycles for 3 and a half days and it was fantastic! The weather is perfect for biking.On my last they we used the bus and it was terrible compared to biking.

The only thing you need is pocket wifi and smartphone. Choose the destination and choose walking mode in Google Map. It will lead you through small street which is very quiet. Always ride on the pavement like the locals. There are some areas which are bike prohibited but I still saw people riding their bike on the pavement. So virtually, you can use the bike almost anywhere. However, I suggest you find a parking spot near all the crowded area (Gion, Kiyomizu-dera,..). Most of the itineraries have dedicated parking spaces.

Here's a map with all the parking spots I found on the internet and added some that I found during my trip:

https://drive.google.com/open…

For more maps and information with biking related, you can go to this website: http://www.cyclekyoto.com/

Again, I'd recommend bicycle all the way. Especially the peaked seasons.

22 replies to this topic
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Recommend: using bicycles!

Thanks for the recommendation! We're visiting in December. Our accommodation comes with bikes so we're hoping to use it as a means to get around the city.

We're hoping to cycle to Arashiyama too, and just wondered how long it took you?

Many thanks!

Florida
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Recommend: using bicycles!

Thank you for posting this. We enjoy biking and are thinking about doing it in Kyoto. I am a little worried about parking and the crowd as we are going in November.

Did you also bike at night?

Reply to: Recommend: using bicycles!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted