We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

small tofu shop/factory

Lenzima
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
small tofu shop/factory

As I am a tofu "fan", would like to improve my tofu maker skills and visit a small tofu manufacturer in Kyoto. I say Kyoto because I was reading somewhere that Kyoto is the "tofu capital" in Japan. The big problem could be the language.

Is there a small tofu factory in Kyoto that I could visit and where (possibly) someone is able to understand english or german or a latin language? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
10 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: small tofu shop/factory

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29818…

Lenzima
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: small tofu shop/factory

thank you for your answer. Osaka is also close to Kyoto!

Mentioned in this post
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
26,890 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: small tofu shop/factory

Fushimiya is your best bet in Kyoto/Osaka area:

http://www.fushimiya.co.jp/factory.html

Make sure to have your hotel make a reservation well in advance. From JR Ibaraki Station, take a taxi. Here is the address and phone # for the driver:

伏見屋本店

〒567-0025

大阪府茨木市田中町2-21

TEL:072-631-7422

Mentioned in this post
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Lenzima
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: small tofu shop/factory

Thank you for this tip. I am very glad to visit a very small factory; in the big factories you can see only pipes and much stainless steel. But is difficult to understand and "feel" the process.

Kyoto, Japan
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: small tofu shop/factory

There are still many small Tofu vendors producing tofu in house in Kyoto. Some housewives also cook tofu in kitchens, made from beans.

https://ws-plan.com/mamerui/momentofu.html

Most of Tofu vendors in Kyoto run by old people. So no one may speak English at all.

Yeaah, Tofu in Kyoto is tasty. It is the first time to recognized the taste of soy beans on tofus purchased at Sanjo Tofu Shop.

…4travel.jp/img/…

Yudofu at Nanzenji gate area is boiled too much: Rumor has it that it taste the same as supermarket grade.

Lenzima
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: small tofu shop/factory

Dear Sanfran1946, thank you very much for your reply. I would very much love to be able to stay in one shop and look how they make tofu.

Also the web page https://ws-plan.com/mamerui/momentofu.html is very interesting. Unfortunately I do not understand the language. But I see in a picture that the temperature shown is 74°C. Is this the temperature of soy milk when nigari is being added? How much nigari (solid or liquid?) is being added? The temperature is very challenging. In other pages I found that milk temperature should be 85°C. I think that higher temperature means harder tofu. Is it?

Kyoto, Japan
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: small tofu shop/factory

Since so far I have not made Tofu by myself, following is just my translation:

Soy milk is heated up to 75C. Add two third of Nigari little by little little while stirring soy milk, when temperature reached to ‘5C.

Rest of nigari should be added by carefully watching the color of soy milk. When yellowish clear supernatant is made, stop adding Nigari. Stop the fire of stove.

15 minutes later, when Tofu portion and supernatant is clearly separated, then scoop up the supernatant.. Under the supernatant, it is Yose Tofu.

Nigari prepared is 20ml melted in the 50ml warm water. Component of Nigari used is; magnesium 4600mg, sodium 2900mg, potassium 3600mg per 100ml.

I am sorry I dont see the other page indicating 85C. We have two kinds of screening masks, cotton and silk. Cotton screened tofu is pressed by weight for tofu to be harder. Silk screen Tofu is smooth and soft, but process is a liile bit different.

sorry for my rough translation. For further details, try to use translation engines. I will ask a Tofu Vendor near my apartment if he or she can show you the process. Are you considering business?

Lenzima
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: small tofu shop/factory

Thank you very much for your translation. As I see from your Nickname you are 1946. I am 1947.

No, I am not considering business but I would like to be able to make a very good tofu since what we find here to buy, is industrial tofu not very good. I would be happy if you could contact me privately (legno@web.de).

Kyoto, Japan
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: small tofu shop/factory

One thing I confirmed in this thread is Nigari includes sodium. So far I mostly buy industrial cheap tofu sold on supermarket shelf. Nigari is not used for these tofu, but the other calcium may be used. Since I need to have tight sodium control for my high blood pressure, I did not have good tofu: Yose Tofu purchased at the vender inserted photo above is the first tasty tofu. There is another popular tofu shop in Kyoto beside many others in each neighborhood. I will try to get nitty-gritty information.

Refer the above housewife cooking, have located a U-Tube to make simple Yose Tofu demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP2q7wPJ6Mg

This American process is so easy and rough: no temperature is concerned.

huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/28/homemade-tofu_…

A couple of American books are available in English. One is written by Japanese American lady.

seriouseats.com/2011/08/how-to-make-fresh-si…

The other is written by Vietnamese lady. Recipes may be different.

https:/…how-make-homemade-tofu

Will keep you posted to your e-mail address.

Lenzima
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: small tofu shop/factory

Thank you Sanfran1946!

Reply to: small tofu shop/factory
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted