We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips to Kyoto, Nara and Hiroshima from Osaka

Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips to Kyoto, Nara and Hiroshima from Osaka

We will be staying in Osaka and do day trips to Kyoto, Nara and Hiroshima using our JR Passes. Our plans are as follows:

Day 1 Fri

Kyoto

Kiyomizu-dera Temple

Sannen-zaka and Ninen-zaka?

Nishiki Market and food floor at Daimaru Department Store?

Fushimi Inari Tasiha Shrine

Day 2 Sat

Hiroshima

Atomic Bomb Peace Park

Hiroshima Castle

Shukkeien Garden?

Miyjima sounds nice but we might not have enough time?

Day 3 Sun

Nara

Todaiji Temple

Nara Park

Day 4 Mon

Kyoto

Gion

Arashiyama Bamboo Grove

Monkey Park

Sagano Scenic Railway?

Kinkaku-ji Temple

Philosopher’s Path?

Himeji Castle?

As we are travelling with kids (10 and 12), we don't want to over exert ourselves on any day. The question marks are just that, we don't have to go but I read about those places,''

Please comment on what we should skip/add. Does the order seem ok?

Thanks.

8 replies to this topic
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips to Kyoto, Nara and Hiroshima from Osaka

Day 1 Fri

Kyoto

Kiyomizu-dera Temple

Philosopher’s Path?

Sannen-zaka and Ninen-zaka?

Nishiki Market and food floor at Daimaru Department Store?

Gion

Day 2 Sat

Hiroshima

Atomic Bomb Peace Park

Miyajima

Day 3 Sun

Nara

Todaiji Temple

Nara Park

Day 4 Mon

Kyoto

Arashiyama Bamboo Grove

Monkey Park

Sagano Scenic Railway?

Kinkaku-ji Temple

and make a half day trip to Himeji on an Osaka Day

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
966 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips to Kyoto, Nara and Hiroshima from Osaka

<<Philosopher’s Path?>>

If it is during cherry blossom period u must go there !

Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
6,062 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips to Kyoto, Nara and Hiroshima from Osaka

Day 1 Fri

Kyoto

I don't know where you stay in Osaka, but I recommend you to take the Keihan Railway Main Line from its Yodoyabashi Terminal or Kyobashi station in the morning to go its Fushimi Inari station to visit Fushimi Inari Shrine at first.

Then, take the Keihan Railway again to its Shichijo (7th Street) station and walk 5 min to Sanjusangendo Hall, the artistic highlight of Kyoto. ¥Please read my articles here.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-…

Then, take a taxi to Kiyomizu-dera to save your time, which costs only @1,000 yen. After Kiyomizu-dera temple, walk the Sane-zaka and Nine-zaka slopes, see Yasaka Pagoda, Ishibe Alley, visit Todaiji temple, walk through Yasaka Shrine, and head to Gion Hanamikoji alley and Gion Shirakawa area. Finally, go to Nishiki Market and Daimaru Department Store.

Day 2 Sat

Hiroshima

You should visit Himeji Castle on your way to Hiroshima, and also Miyajima after you visit the Atomic Bomb Peace Park.

Day 3 Sun

Take the JR Yamatoji Line's Rapid to JR Nara from JR Namba, Imamiya, Shin-Imamiya, or Tennoji Stations in Osaka.

Nara

Todaiji Temple

Nara Park

Day 4 Mon

Kyoto

You should go to Umeda (=JR Osaka) Station and take Hankyu Railway's Kyoto Line to Katsura station, where you can transfer to Hankyu's Arashiyama Line to its Arashiyama Terminal.

Then, go to the Iwatayama Monkey Park at first. Then, walk over Togetsukyo Bridge and visit Tenryuji temple and its nice garden. Exit the temple from its North Back Exit, walk leftward for a few min., and you are in the Bamboo Grove.

After Arashiyama, take JR Saga Line to JR Enmachi Station and take a taxi to Kinkaku-ji Temple. After Kinrakuji, take a taxi to Nijo-jo(Castle).

Then take subway Tozai (East-West) Line from Nijo-jo Mae(Nijo Castle Front) to Karasuma-Oike, transfer to subway Karasuma Line to Kyoto Station and take JR Kyoto Line Rapid, if you want to go back to Osaka. Alternatively, go to Kyoto-Shiyakusho Mae(City Hall Front) or Sanjo-Keihan(3rd Street-Keihan) by the Subway Tozai Line, if you want to go to the Central Kyoto Area again, and come back to Osaka by Keihan Railway from its Sanjo(3rd Street) or Gion-Shijo(Gion-4th Street) Station.

Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
6,062 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips to Kyoto, Nara and Hiroshima from Osaka

Sorry, the name of the temple in the South Higashiyama Area before Yasaka Shrine is Kodaiji, not Todaiji.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
427 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips to Kyoto, Nara and Hiroshima from Osaka

Fushimi is also beautiful at night so you can easily go there when not much else is open

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,140 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips to Kyoto, Nara and Hiroshima from Osaka

I'm not sure if you have already bought your pass, but we were about to buy our 7 day JR pass when I found another that is cheaper but still does what we want. It's a JR West Kansai Hiroshima Area Pass. It can be used for Kansai plus Hiroshima. Here's a link to the NZ Japan travel office. As a comparison, it cost us NZ$165 instead of $358 for the rail pass.

https:/…hiroshimayamaguchi

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,153 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips to Kyoto, Nara and Hiroshima from Osaka

I am assuming you have other travels beyond the Kansai Area? If not, Kansai Hiroshima Pass is indeed the one to get.

Level Contributor
57 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips to Kyoto, Nara and Hiroshima from Osaka

Himeji castle is a bit far from Kyoto and you should allocate at least 4 hours for it, so I don't think you will be able to do it along with more than 2-3 other attractions on the same day

Reply to: Day trips to Kyoto, Nara and Hiroshima from Osaka
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted