We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food, Shop and Day Trip

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
71 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Food, Shop and Day Trip

Hi all,

I'm going to Kyoto and Osaka next month.

Do you have any suggestions on where to eat and shop?

Also I will stay in Osaka for five nights so planning to have couple of day trips from Osaka? Nara and Kobe are two of the ideas. Any other nice suggestion?

Thanks heaps

Wink

6 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,765 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food, Shop and Day Trip

You can eat anywhere from McDonalds to Michelin starred restaurants.

Your question is too vague for a relevant answer.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
705 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food, Shop and Day Trip

There are plenty of shops and restaurants in and around Kyoto train station. One day in Kyoto is too little time. At least another day from Osaka. If you are keen, you can squeeze in a day trip to Hiroshima but it will be a long day.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food, Shop and Day Trip

As Kyoto is the historical center of Japan i would be tempted to stay there for the duration rather than busy Osaka.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,381 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food, Shop and Day Trip

You can stay at either Kyoto or Osaka and make day trips to the other. Remember to visit Nara as well. These three cities are within 45 minutes or so from each other. I always advocate staying at the city where you intend to spend the most time so you save unnecessary commuting time. However, at this late stage, Kyoto hotel prices could be more expensive than Osaka. You need to balance price vs location vs hotel quality yourself.

Shopping and eating are everywhere. Osaka, Kobe and Kyoto are all good for shopping. It just depends on what you want.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
71 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food, Shop and Day Trip

Thanks guys.

Sorry i haven't mentioned it clear. I will stay in Kyoto for three nights and actually six nights in Osaka.

As in food, we want to try famous and yummy food. I prefer to have Japanese food, ramen, sushi, shabu shabu....... but I heard there are good different cuisines in Japan too. So want the suggestion for this.

We will go to Kyoto from Kansai airport. Then from Kyoto to Osaka and as i said probably couple of day trips from Osaka. Should we consider to buy any pass? I did look into the JR pass but it valid for seven days only and we will be around there for nine days.

Thanks heaps

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
705 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food, Shop and Day Trip

Definitely not worth a JR pass with what you have in mind.

That's a lot of nights in a fairly small geographical area. It is more a commute between kyoto and Osaka. 6 nights in Osaka is very generous.

Edited: 13 September 2017, 15:26
Reply to: Food, Shop and Day Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted