We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How early to start the day to avoid the daily/holidays crowd

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
How early to start the day to avoid the daily/holidays crowd

Hi, guys,

read and advised that we should start our trip early to the scenic spot to avoid the crowds.

In Kyoto how early we should be at the station in the morning ? afternoon/evening ?

Thanks.

9 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,436 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How early to start the day to avoid the daily/holidays crowd

Kyoto is almost always crowded to very crowded. Start early at Fushimi Inari since it never closes, then head to Kiyomizudera since it gets crowded. Another spot to go early (on a separate day) is Kinkakuji. Fit everything else in between based on geography and your itinerary.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
427 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How early to start the day to avoid the daily/holidays crowd

Fushimi can be visited very early or even at night (I'd really recommend at night https:/… ) It is worth getting to places like Kiyomizu or Kinkakuji as they open to avoid most of the crowds. Unfortunately, crowded tourist spots are just something that must be expected in Kyoto. You can go further afield from Kyoto, such as visiting Mie prefecture or Lake Biwa where they will be fewer crowds

Vladivostok, Russia
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How early to start the day to avoid the daily/holidays crowd

Frankly speaking, I've did Kinkakuji in the mid-afternoon (around 2 pm) mid-November, which by all science of Kyoto temple-hopping would suggest "packed to the brim", but it didn't feel all THAT crowded. Well, the crowds were there all right, but I've never had to jostle for a breathing space or even a photo opportunity.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How early to start the day to avoid the daily/holidays crowd

SammyF1oyd, Natalie P, andrey159,

Thanks for advise.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,436 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How early to start the day to avoid the daily/holidays crowd

Not discounting andrey's experience above at all as crowds certainly vary. The last time I was at Kinkakuji was mid-morning on a weekday. In addition to tourists, there were many groups of students on field trips. I still suggest you go early vs some other sights. The grounds of Kinkakuji are relatively small so even it doesn't take a lot of visitors to give you the packed feeling.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
25,166 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How early to start the day to avoid the daily/holidays crowd

I agree with Sammy. I'd go to Kinkakuji when it opens. The last time I was there mid morning on a weekday in April, it was mobbed by bus loads of tourists and totally packed. We actually did't even go into the temple ground as it looked so unpleasant.

I recommend going to Fushimi Inari early as well and do the whole loop. Don't go there in the dark since only the first part is lit and the rest is pitch dark. There are many uneven steps and slopes, so visiting there in the dark is not safe.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
427 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How early to start the day to avoid the daily/holidays crowd

The whole of the torii are lit to the mountain peak so it's safe to go at night. We even saw wild tanuki when exploring at night and you can get some eerie shots

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
25,166 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How early to start the day to avoid the daily/holidays crowd

The Thousand Torii is just a small part of the loop. After you pass them it gets pitch dark. I lived in Kyoto for 4 years and trained at Fushimi Inari as a college athlete almost daily, so I've been there countless times. Unless they installed lights on the whole loop recently (highly doubtful) my recommendation is still the same.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How early to start the day to avoid the daily/holidays crowd

guys,

Thanks again for advises. Perhaps we will just pop in and enjoy as much in comfort. visiting shrines / temples at nights should be an awesome experience.

Reply to: How early to start the day to avoid the daily/holidays crowd
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted