We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Economy way to travel from Osaka-Kyoto-Tokyo-Osaka

Which Osaka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
shah alam
7 posts
Save Topic
Economy way to travel from Osaka-Kyoto-Tokyo-Osaka

Hi I am planning to land in Osaka and move on to Kyoto then to Tokyo before returning back home from Osaka again. It's a 6-days trip and Japan Rail pass offer is 7-days.

I will be traveling in the local underground trains in Osaka and Tokyo during my stay at these places.

Thanks

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,580 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Economy way to travel from Osaka-Kyoto-Tokyo-Osaka

You might consider the JTB Shinkansen package.

www.japanican.com/tours/tourdetail.aspx…

Perhaps you might consider a night bus from Kyoto to Tokyo one way, and the Shinkansen for return.

http://willerexpress.com/bus/pc/3/top/;jsessionid=024E338CD6A31BB70511FAE4BB03015B.ap35bus1?mid=264

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
993 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Economy way to travel from Osaka-Kyoto-Tokyo-Osaka

The main cost will be Kyoto Tokyo and back. With reserved seats the cost is roughly the same as a 7 day rail pass, but on some trains there are carriages for non-reserved seats which makes the ticket cheaper.

You would be able to use JR pass on Tokyo loop line (which is useful) but not on subway in Tokyo or Osaka. Visit www.seat61.com/japan where you can find more information

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Economy way to travel from Osaka-Kyoto-Tokyo-Osaka

I think it depends on your budget constraints. A JR Pass is not really going to save you much if anything and is not usable on subways and private lines in Tokyo or Osaka.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Economy way to travel from Osaka-Kyoto-Tokyo-Osaka

Take the overnight bus. You save on train fare AND hotel.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
48,797 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Economy way to travel from Osaka-Kyoto-Tokyo-Osaka

bibimbob's way is the cheapest by far.

Willer Express Bus pass is also worth consideration.

willerexpress.com/x/…

shah alam
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Economy way to travel from Osaka-Kyoto-Tokyo-Osaka

Yes, I had searched thru the Willer Express Bus pass and it offers a good price to travel long distance to Tokyo and back. But I doubt I have the convenience in sleeping in a moving vehicle at night. And I don't have the convenience of washing myself in hostels and enjoy early morning breakfast in a warm place. It will be too early to move around as the bus will arrived at the destination at the vie of daylight.

The JR Rail pass has a limited passage which meant only for long distance traveling isn't it and not useable in subways. That means I have to purchase day ticket for moving around Tokyo or Osaka.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
48,797 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Economy way to travel from Osaka-Kyoto-Tokyo-Osaka

For traveling with Tokyo and Osaka, just purchase single tickets or get a Suica/Pasmo (Tokyo) and ICOCA (Osaka) stored value card. Day passes don't usually pay off in those cities.

Within Osaka, JR Pass doesn't offer much value since subway lines get you to more places than trains. Within Tokyo, both JR and subways have extensive netoworks. Whether the pass pays off depends on your entire itinerary down to the day and exact places you will go to beyond Tokyo and Osaka.

shah alam
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Economy way to travel from Osaka-Kyoto-Tokyo-Osaka

Thanks Sammy and all. It really helps me to budget my way to these big cities. Ain't cheap in Japan but hope it pays for a good trip there.

CHEERS!

9. Re: Economy way to travel from Osaka-Kyoto-Tokyo-Osaka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 14:40