We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

must see in osaka

Milano, Italia
Level Contributor
2,148 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
must see in osaka

I will spend only half day in Osaka, someone could suggest me the must-see spots and how visit them starting from the station? thank you very much.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: must see in osaka

Namba Station? How are you arriving?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,039 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: must see in osaka

Please do some research at - http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2157.html

Without knowing your interests, it's difficult to offer suggestions.

Milano, Italia
Level Contributor
2,148 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: must see in osaka

I will arrive from Kyoto and I'd like to know what can I see in half day, the most important spots (castle, and so on).thanks again.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: must see in osaka

If you're arriving from Kyoto, I wouldn't bother too much with the castle, not in just half a day. I liked it and the grounds are lovely, but there are better old buildings in and around Kyoto. The castle itself- I guess what we would call the keep- is a reproduction.

Osaka is an eating/drinking town. Plus there's some quite good shopping.

I would stick to the area around the station, drink in a bit of local atmosphere, try some of the local delicacies, and have a look around the shopping streets.

Edited: 28 June 2012, 07:11
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,102 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: must see in osaka

I think you should do a walking tour around Namba, seeing the Dotonbori, Shinsaibashi-suji arcade; Namba City / Parks shopping complex and Takashimaya store; walk towards Nipponbashi via Kitchen Utensils Street.

About Japanese castles- foreign visitors often have a misperception about what constitutes a castle.

Moats and walls, the fortifications around Osaka Castle is impressive and original, although it is smaller than the Toyotomi era's great fortification. If you only take note of the main tower, it will disappoint you: it is indeed a 1930s construction of the one that was lost by wars and fires, and functions as museum and observation deck. But in most cases with Japanese castles, the tower was just "for show" and sometimes used as warehouse.

Also, you need to know the history behind Osaka Castle to really enjoy it - the Warring States Period; the rivalry between Hideyoshi and Ieyasu; Hideyoshi's rise from poor family background and his blind love to his only surviving son; the tragic Seige of Osaka resulting in Hideyoshi's son's death and establishment of the Shogunate in Edo (Tokyo); the heroic last grand battle of the warriors. Osaka is town that Hideyoshi built next to his fort upon his fantasy to conquer Asia and beyond, it's a story of lost opportunity.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyotomi_Hideyoshi

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/18/The_Si…

Edited: 28 June 2012, 08:03
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,883 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: must see in osaka

Your best choice is to wander around Namba in general. Walk Shinsaibashi and Dontonbori in particular. Then if you want a scenic spot, head to Osaka Castle (and learn the history as Yobeekool suggested). That's probably all you have time for.

Namba-Shinsaibashi are walkable. Then take the subway to reach Osaka Castle.

www.osakacastle.net/english/access/index.html

Edited: 28 June 2012, 09:39
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,102 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: must see in osaka

Off the topic: for the amazing success story of Hideyoshi, founder of Osaka and its castle, who was born as a peasant child but eventually unified Japan and became its ruler, and his final days as a lone dictator who ventured on a disastrous campaign to conquer Asia and beyond, you might watch this samurai drama (pirated by the Chinese and denied full access from Japan to avoid copyright issues):

www.tudou.com/programs/view/4fBO_kPuSKI/

If you can get a DVD, I recommend it.

Edited: 28 June 2012, 21:29
Milano, Italia
Level Contributor
2,148 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: must see in osaka

Thank you very much.

9. Re: must see in osaka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2013, 12:45