We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KLIA2 immigration congestion.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
KLIA2 immigration congestion.

Hi wanted to share our issues with immigration at KLIA2 when we just travelled there.

We arrived on 22nd April at about 4pm and it took 2hrs 30 mins to get through immigration it was chaotic the amount of people was insane. (we have been there in 2016 coming from vietnam at a diffrent time of the day and it was a breeze.)

We left on 30th April 2017 and was at airport at about 5pm and again immigration was worse ive ever seen, took 90 mins to get through immigration. People was missing there flights and people had to cut in to make flights it has put me off to ever go back to KLIA2 Malaysia.

Was it bad luck or is this a common problem? Not keen to go back.

33 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KLIA2 immigration congestion.

It really can be luck of the draw if you will breeze through immigration or have a long wait. I've had it take 20 mins to get thru from plane door to taxi, then on the exact same flight I was stuck waiting over an hour and a half.

I know I get laughted at for saying this by some ppl on here, but I always suggest leaving at least 4 hrs between connecting flights if they are not protected (ie: two different tickets), and also to get to the airport 3 hrs before an internation flight, for the very reason you explained above.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,381 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KLIA2 immigration congestion.

It depends on timing i.e. how many flights are arriving or departing at the same time. If 5 or more flights arrive at the same time there will of course be congestion at immigration.

As above, aim to arrive 3 hours before the flight departs and you won't go wrong. Also allow minimum 3-4 hours between flights on an unprotected connection.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,612 posts
1,674 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KLIA2 immigration congestion.

I have travelled through KLIA2 many times and never had delays so long. Yes the queues can be long but never waited more than 30 mins.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,037 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KLIA2 immigration congestion.

As others has mentioned, immigration and customs lines can be long or short, depending on how many flights arriving/departing at that time.

Psyvolt, actually I totally agree with you, min. 4 hours for transferring between flights and arriving 3 hours before an international flight. I usually recommend min. 3 hours transfer time and arriving 2 hours before departure, but then I usually travel carry-on only and as a citizen I always breeze through immigration. Perhaps I shall use your suggestion instead.

Level Contributor
4,236 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: KLIA2 immigration congestion.

Post #3 "Yes the queues can be long but never waited more than 30 mins"

My average would be around that amount of time, but thats not to mean they are never longer. I've had immigration lines snaking all the way back to the stairs on one occasion, which took a stupidly long time to clear.

I'd rather plan for the unexpected and chill airside with time up my sleeve, then to miss a flight because i didn't leave enough buffer time to do formalities.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
5,771 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: KLIA2 immigration congestion.

There have been other travellers commenting they took 2 hours to clear the immigration so it is not unheard of.

Edited: 08 May 2017, 12:45
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: KLIA2 immigration congestion.

On our last couple of visits we have had similar experiences to the OP.

Lines moving very slowly or not at all for long periods.

Even changed queue, to what seemed a faster one, and had that stop as well.

Observation is that it seems that there are a lot of passengers arriving with the wrong or incomplete visa.

As the lines are for all foreigners, you get held up in the lines, while passengers who have visa entry requirement problems are being sorted.

A couple of lines specifically for foreign passport holders from visa exempt countries would speed things up. It was very frustrating.

Back again in a couple of weeks and will be interested to see if it is the same. Not a great time of year with all the extra travelers for Ramadan & Eid, as it is always extra busy anyway.

Edited: 08 May 2017, 13:41
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,230 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: KLIA2 immigration congestion.

I am in the group who has generally had a quick run through immigration at both KLIA and KLIA 2. I don't think it is a common problem. Worldwide , immigration traffic can go up and down and I know in US at the moment , Aussies are being subjected to extra attention and being made to wait longer than usual.

Cheers

Sean

Manchester, England
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: KLIA2 immigration congestion.

Today it took me around 40 minutes to get through immigration (from Krabi into KLIA2). Was so long that my baggage had been taken off the conveyor for me and my transfer thought I'd got lost! Queue seemed to get bigger behind me, and there didn't seem to be any problems as such, it just seemed to be very busy.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: KLIA2 immigration congestion.

To post #5 yes the queues was back to the stairs. I have been been to Singapore at least 20 times and you lucky wait 15 mins max, Also yes i did notice while in line that alot of times could be visa issues as at times people would be at immigration for at least 5 mins.

What was strange was yes i understand it happens once every so often but it happen both times we enter and exit the country, When we where leaving the lines where outside into the airline checkin area for going through immigration.

They could learn alot off Singapore as they know how many flights are coming in each day. Both ways i would say 70% of immigration booths were open.

Maybe we were unlucky, We are coming back in Nov so we know then if we will want to transit through KLIA2 or transit through Singapore.

Oh and yes we always be there 3-4 hrs before my flight but this immigration was chaotic compared to other places i been.

Edited: 09 May 2017, 14:54
Reply to: KLIA2 immigration congestion.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted