We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KLIA2 immigration congestion.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
KLIA2 immigration congestion.

Hi wanted to share our issues with immigration at KLIA2 when we just travelled there.

We arrived on 22nd April at about 4pm and it took 2hrs 30 mins to get through immigration it was chaotic the amount of people was insane. (we have been there in 2016 coming from vietnam at a diffrent time of the day and it was a breeze.)

We left on 30th April 2017 and was at airport at about 5pm and again immigration was worse ive ever seen, took 90 mins to get through immigration. People was missing there flights and people had to cut in to make flights it has put me off to ever go back to KLIA2 Malaysia.

Was it bad luck or is this a common problem? Not keen to go back.

33 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: KLIA2 immigration congestion.

I agree it is an embarrassment to the Malaysian authorities. Its getting worse and they dont seem to be doing anything about it. I usually fly through there on the way to other destinations because air asia is cheap. After my last experience of massive and unorganized lines I am going to pay the extra money and fly direct to avoid KLIA. It is the worst airport to pass either way through immigration.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: KLIA2 immigration congestion.

Came to KL yesterday and yes it was crazy que at. immigration.. we had a small child with us and so we were offered assistance and ours was done in less than 10 min.. but otherwise not less than 2 hours .. so yes plan accordingly .

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: KLIA2 immigration congestion.

Anyone who is travelling to or thru Kuala Lumpur in the next couple of weeks , should allow extra time for immigration, specially if they are changing flights. It is a very busy time due to large numbers of people travelling during Ramadan and Eid holidays. Please be patient. It can take up to 2 hours in the queues and is made worse if people do not make sure that they have the correct Visa documents.

Happy Travels.

Level Contributor
4,236 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: KLIA2 immigration congestion.

Agree with Famwood, I flew into Malaysia a few days ago (albeit Klia1), and the lines were stupidly long, with very little staff on the immigration desks (half the booths were unstaffed, with the lines snaking out of the arrivals hall and into the terminal).

Soo id be allowing at least 4 hrs or more if you have an unprotected connection flight.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: KLIA2 immigration congestion.

Does Malaysia have smart gates for New Zealand passports?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,037 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: KLIA2 immigration congestion.

No, there isn't any smart gate for foreign visitors. The Autogate is for Malaysian passport holders only. Foreigners with Malaysian long term passes may be able to register for the eGate facility.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
451 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: KLIA2 immigration congestion.

Flew in from Melbourne on Friday 6 July at 4.00pm, 2 adults, 5 children...was dreading the wait. From arrival to exit - 40 minutes...very happy.

Even Sharad our driver was slightly late because of the long waits.

Edited: 09 July 2017, 18:33
Level Contributor
1 post
43 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: KLIA2 immigration congestion.

My wife and I have just returned home after spending ten weeks in S.E. Asia and flying with Air Asia to various countries using K.L. as our base and believe that KLIA 2 is a very well managed airport except for the immigration mess which has got increasingly worse over the past couple of years in terms of longer and longer queues taking what seems to be an eternity to have your passport stamped, I fully understand that this department is government run, however could the management of A.A. and KLIA apply some pressure to the Malaysian Immigration department to improve what otherwise is a great advertisement for the Malaysian tourist industry.

Whangaparaoa, New...
Level Contributor
54 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: KLIA2 immigration congestion.

We land KUala Lumpar from Singapore then out of KLIA2 to Sandakan, so domestic, I am hoping the immigration mentioned here does not effect us? Same returning Langkawi to KLIA2 then out from the main terminal to Singapore, both internal flights are Air Asia

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: KLIA2 immigration congestion.

Singapore to Malaysia is not a domestic flight. How long have you allowed between flights?

Reply to: KLIA2 immigration congestion.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted