We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewellery remodelling

Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Jewellery remodelling

I am considering having my engagement ring remodelled while we are in KL. I've been told that it would be less expensive to have this done in KL than in Sydney.

I've searched and found dozens of jewellers, but don't know which ones to contact. Too many choices! Can anyone recommend a jeweller that may be able help me in the time frame available? We arrive in July and will be staying for a week. Thank you.

8 replies to this topic
Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
989 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewellery remodelling

I heard of them Frou Frou Fine jewellery on a radio interview and one friend.

Very interesting and bespoke services. Maybe you can contact them for more information.

They are based in Penang though.

http://froufrou.my

Edited: 17 June 2017, 08:51
Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewellery remodelling

Thanks for that , but it's best for us to try somewhere in KL as we're only there for a week.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
989 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewellery remodelling

You can have a look at Suen in Bangsar but its premium pricing (http://www.suenjewellers.com).

I got mine in from Selberan Jewellery previously sometime back ( http://www.selberan.com/contact)

Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewellery remodelling

Thank you but I already have the ring. I was hoping to have it remodelled into a more modern design using the existing diamonds.

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
9,582 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewellery remodelling

Try some of the Indian jewellers. But I think you may find one week is not long enough.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewellery remodelling

Have you had anyone actually quote you for the work at home? Unless you do, you will not know if it is actually cheaper to have done while you are away. I personally would not think about entrusting my gems to an unknown to do a rushed job either.

At home , a reputable jeweller will also give you a guarantee of the work, most will offer an annual free clean and check of the setting for wear and tear, and a Certificate of Valuation (with photo) of the finished piece. Worth saving for a bit longer and get it done locally for peace of mind IMO?

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
989 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewellery remodelling

i think famwood got a point. I won't leave my prized jewellery piece with a unknown shop in another country too.

Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jewellery remodelling

Thank you for another perspective. I do have an idea of the cost in Australia, but understood that the work could be done for less in Kuala Lumpur. I had a great experience several years ago with a jeweller in Thailand that I found out about on TA and hoped to do the same in KL.

Your advice is sensible. Thank you for the reality check!

Reply to: Jewellery remodelling
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted