We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 Days in the Kuala Lumpur area (July 11-20)

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Topic
9 Days in the Kuala Lumpur area (July 11-20)

Hi folks!

I'm sure you guys get asked a ton of questions on what to do and stuff so I am sorry if this is redundant. I'm going to Kuala Lumpur this July with my mom and was wondering if folks could give us some recommendations on what to do and where to eat.

I have looked up quite a few attractions and what not but I was wondering if anyone could share hidden gems in the city. I also know there are a lot of things to do so I was wondering you guys could share a must do/visit list!

In regards to the food...I'm looking at all the price points. I want to be able to experience the best Malaysian food. Anything from street vendors to restaurants.

Also one last question...does anyone have any recommendations on markets. I am looking for food/fruit markets as well as shopping markets. I'm not really interested in a mall. I was more interested in street markets so if anyone had any information on which ones to visit that would be awesome.

Any information/advice would be awesome!

Thanks

6 replies to this topic
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,336 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 Days in the Kuala Lumpur area (July 11-20)

I enjoyed a stroll at Chow Kit Market:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

The Islamic Arts Museum is a treat too:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

Plus day trip to Melaka?

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
989 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 Days in the Kuala Lumpur area (July 11-20)

For food trails and recommendations you can research on timeout.com.my.

There is just too too many food choices to selected and visit if you are a real foodie.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,381 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 Days in the Kuala Lumpur area (July 11-20)

As above, if you wish to visit a market, then probably the one in Chow Kit. It is in a scruffy part of KL but as you said you want something not on the typical tourist list.

There is a small street market ("Pasar Malam") on Sunday evenings at the Telawi area of Bangsar. It won't take long to cover and after you have finished there are loads of restaurants in the area and a small mall ("Bangsar Village"). For something local, you could try Banana Leaf Rice at Nirvana, Raju's or Devi's Corner.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
2,209 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 Days in the Kuala Lumpur area (July 11-20)

A cheap Uber/Grab taxi ride to Kampung Baru in late evening for dinner. Try the nasi lemak(coconut milk rice)

www.visitkl.gov.my/visitklv2/index.php…

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 Days in the Kuala Lumpur area (July 11-20)

Thanks for the response!

And yes I was planning on taking a day trip to Melaka for sure!

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 Days in the Kuala Lumpur area (July 11-20)

Thanks for the responses everyone!

I took note of everything and will definitely try and incorporate visiting these places on my trip.

IM SOOOO EXCITED!!!

Reply to: 9 Days in the Kuala Lumpur area (July 11-20)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted