We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover

4 posts
Save Topic
Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover

I have a return flight from Bali to New Delhi via Air Malaysia. There is layover of about 12 hours in Kwalampur. I am planning to visit few place during that time. I have 3 questions -

1. Will I be allowed to go out of airport and visit few places and again come back to airport to catch my flight during this period. My booking is in same PNR with two legs both Malaysian airways, one from Bali to Kuala lampur and other one from Kuala lampur to New Delhi. Layover time is around 12 hours. My baggage may be marked for the final destination which is Delhi.

2. If I am allowed what kind of visa will be required for it. Will I require any visa(Indian Citizen) prior or any transit visa will be issued in airport for the same.

3. What if in case its just only transit and I am staying in airport terminal. In that case also any transit visa is required.

Any help will be sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

21 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover

The very first thead in the malaysia forum is all about Visas (it even states to please read it before asking visa questions). So pls give it a read so we don't keep having to repeat the same answers.

To make it easy for you, heres a link to it:

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g29…

Rewari, India
Level Contributor
867 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover

If you stay in the airport terminal then no visa is required but if you want to go out and visit the city then you will require a visa.

there is no transit visa for you as you are going to Indonesia and coming back from there.

You can avail an e visa for this which will cost you a sum of 35 USD through www.windowmalaysia.my/evisa

link for this has already been provided by psyvolt.

You won't be able to use eNTRI note so don't try to attempt it by any means as immigration won't allow you to enter Malaysia as your travel itinerary won't support it.

hope this helps

Vikas.

Edited: 18 June 2017, 02:43
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover

Thanks Vikas,

I read evisa is only single entry visa. As my start trip form DEL-SIN is a via KL, although its just 1 hr halt in KUL, will that make an impact when I return back and want to move out of airport using this e-visa. Also my baggage will be marked for Delhi, so will immigration allow me to leave airport with my luggage already there.

Below is my itinerary. I have only 1 PNR. I booked multi city flight.

Delhi- Singapore [Via KUL - Layover is just 1 hr]

Bali-New Delhi [Via KUL - Layover 14 hours] - I want to go out of airport during this period to visit few places.

I have other flight PNR from Singapore to Bali, which should have any role in this.

If above case is possible is there any package/guided tour/taxi I can book at airport tourist center which can pick me from airport and show me few places in KL, I want to cover petronas tower, also then drop me back to airport.

Morinda, India
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover

If you are holding visa for Singapore or Thailand, then you can get via on arrival at airport, valid for 14 days

4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover

I will be holding Singapore visa. So in that case I won't be required Malaysia evisa and will get on arrival visa. What is the cost of on arrival visa.

Edited: 18 June 2017, 12:04
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
5,771 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover

Your evisa will not be utilised during your flight to SIN since you are on one PNR and don't need to clear Immigration (entering Malaysia). As long as you stay airside, you are not considered as entering Malaysia. Visa on Arrival is more expensive (100USD) and they require you to carry USD1000 cash. kln.gov.my/web/ind_chennai/home/-/asset_publ…

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
5,771 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover

For tours, you may want to contact this agency. I've not used them personally but have read some good reviews about them and their rates are quite affordable. Their package requires minimum 2 person but perhaps they can tailor something for you if you are alone. kualalumpurtraveltour.com/travel-packages/ci…

Edited: 18 June 2017, 12:38
Rewari, India
Level Contributor
867 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover

Abhinav in post 6 what minxbaby has told you is very correct. During airside transit you don't need a visa but when you will enter the city then your evisa will be utilised.....so keep in mind the costs as well and for a single day you can visit the KLCC on your own also without any travel agency....but if you hire a car with driver then ut would be better.

If you need more help then I will be ready to do it.

4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover

Thanks Minx. Just one more query. My baggage will be checked in from Bali for final destination Delhi or for KUL. Both flights same PNR and Malaysian airlines. Will I be allowed out of airport without my checked in baggage in transit. I will return back for connecting flight.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
5,771 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover

You don't need to carry your baggage with you. Lots of transit passengers do as you did with their baggage checked through to the final destination and it is in fact an advantage not to be burdened with baggage.

Reply to: Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted