We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover

4 posts
Save Topic
Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover

I have a return flight from Bali to New Delhi via Air Malaysia. There is layover of about 12 hours in Kwalampur. I am planning to visit few place during that time. I have 3 questions -

1. Will I be allowed to go out of airport and visit few places and again come back to airport to catch my flight during this period. My booking is in same PNR with two legs both Malaysian airways, one from Bali to Kuala lampur and other one from Kuala lampur to New Delhi. Layover time is around 12 hours. My baggage may be marked for the final destination which is Delhi.

2. If I am allowed what kind of visa will be required for it. Will I require any visa(Indian Citizen) prior or any transit visa will be issued in airport for the same.

3. What if in case its just only transit and I am staying in airport terminal. In that case also any transit visa is required.

Any help will be sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

21 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,037 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover

Post #4 is incorrect. There is no visa on arrival when heading to Singapore or Thailand via Malaysia. Only when coming from Singapore or Thailand to Malaysia then you are eligible for visa on arrival (USD100 for 7 days).

OP, you do not need a visa when your flights are on the same PNR and you do not exit the airport. If you want to exit the airport, you'll need a visa as you will be passing through immigration. For your 1 hour layover to SIN it's too short to do anything else other than going straight to your next flight anyway, so you can just apply for an eVISA and use it to visit the city on the way back from Bali. Your checked-in bags will be transferred to your destination, you won't see your bags in KUL.

Rewari, India
Level Contributor
867 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover

Josh i have seen that you point out the wrong posts very quickly but I have never had a pat on my back for any good advice i have ever given on the forum 😣......

why so???

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover

As a DE, I also point out posts that I know to be wrong. They may cause a fellow travellers problems if they believe them to be correct. I am sure Josh is doing the same and in this case the traveller my have thought he/she would get a VOA when not eligible.

As for pats on the back, I am not doing this for that, as my satisfaction is giving, I hope, help to other travellers.

I will admit the occasional thank you is nice from someone I have helped.

Rewari, India
Level Contributor
867 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover

thanks bigw

But won't you admit that I give correct advice most of the times.

by the way I was not talking about my post being pointed out as wrong. it was some other post Josh was talking about.

cheers

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,037 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover

That is exactly what I was thinking, bigw.

I didn't want to reply to this thread at first, given that the topic has been discussed and answered many times over, and also because Vikas you have already given an answer here. But the misinformation in post #4 was too misleading to be ignored, so as a member of the forum (especially as a DE), I feel the need to correct it for the benefit of not only the OP, but also other travellers who may come across this thread.

As for pats on the back, why do you think you are particularly deserving when there are many, many others on the forum giving good advice every day? Don't get me wrong, I am not discounting your contributions here. In fact I appreciate your help in dealing with questions especially from your fellow countrymen.

For me (and I believe for others on the forum as well), we are doing a labour of love here without asking for anything in return; we gain satisfaction from helping other travellers with their questions and sharing our passion for the destinations we love.

Rewari, India
Level Contributor
867 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover

Josh I think I already got what was deserved in the name of a pat...I don't need any personal favour. You have an idea of what I am doing to help out others....that's enough for me.

Vikas

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover

Good grief. Never once in my nearly 8000 posts have I ever asked for a compliment. I wonder why.

Rewari, India
Level Contributor
867 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover

big w what I meant to say is you people can breath a sigh of relief that among my fellow Indian travellers there has come someone to rescue from silly questions , nothing else

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
10,106 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover

18-8-1979

if you are waiting for thanks then you will certainly be old and grey before the majority of posters ever come back to thank you or even remark on their trip!! Although they are quick enough to have a go at you if they think you have not gone the extra mile to sort out their itineraries for them!!

What were you expecting???

Rewari, India
Level Contributor
867 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover

nothing....lets leave this discussion forever now and focus on the newer questions.....

Happy travels to everyone

Reply to: Malaysia Transit Visa and Going out of airport in layover
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted