We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Critique on our plan for the stay during Hari Raya KL/Penang

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Critique on our plan for the stay during Hari Raya KL/Penang

Hi everyone:

Just wanted some critique on the tentative plan we have for our stay in Malaysia (KL & Penang). Let me know what changes / recommendation that everyone would have –

We are a large family of 5 adults, 2 teenagers and 2 children (6 & 3 yrs) coming from India staying in KL from June 24 till June 28 and then 3 days till July 1 in Penang. I know we are right in the middle of Hari Raya but these were the only days that suited all of us hence the additional planning required.

We are staying in Hotel Parkroyal while in KL and at Golden Sands in Penang. The plan is as follows –

June 24, Sat – Check in the morning. After lunch go to the KLCC / Petronas area - Petronas Towers (outside), Petrosains Discovery Center, KLCC Park, Lake Symphony. Figure out dinner post that. Any suggestion for vegetarian food?

June 25, Sun – We were planning to go to Sunway Lagoon on either Sun or Monday. Given that Hari Raya Puasa Day 1 might be on Sunday we are assuming the parks would be relatively less crowded on Day 1 rather than Day 2. Please guide us if our thinking is wrong. Plan to catch dinner at Sunway Pyramid.

June 26, Mon – Kids loved Climb Central in Singapore, planning to do similar at Camp 5. Then head to Menara Kuala Lumpur & Chinatown - Central Market in the evening. Dinner around – City Center. Post settling the kids and parents at the hotel, we were planning to catch a drink around TREC.

June 27, Tues – With 2 teenagers and 2 active kids, was planning to go to District 21 at IOT Mall. How is that place? Post that visit the Bird Park and catch dinner around Bangsar Village (Gange Café / WTF?)

June 28, Wed – Fly to Penang. Check In the hotel and relax by the pool and the beach.

June 29, Thurs – Hire a car for Butterfly Park, Penang Hill & Kek Lok Si Temple

June 30, Fri – Relax by the hotel in the first half. Roam around Georgetown in the afternoon / evening. Street Art, 3D Museums etc. Had a question here – What is the best way to roam around with kids and parents. Should we hire a car for this day too or manage with Trishaw and with few of us on cycles or we should just walk? Availability of cycles with kids seats?

July 1 – Sat – Check out, Fly to KL, Fly to India.

Some questions – Batu caves seems a lot of pain with elderly parents and young kids. Is it fine to skip it? Haven’t specifically planned a mall visit, If we had to go to one mall which one would you recommend. Pavillion / Berjaya Times Square Kuala Lumpur? Or as we are already at 1 Utama / IOT Mall we can skip an extra visit?

I know the post has lot of questions, so thank you for reading it through and thanks in advance for any feedback and additional recommendations.

Thanks

9 replies to this topic
Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
9,582 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Critique on our plan for the stay during Hari Raya KL/Penang

Just a couple of thoughts about your Penang itinerary. The butterfly farm is now called Entopia and is at Teluk Bahang near Batu Ferringhi. It might make a better afternoon visit than George Town which at the moment is very hot.

Penang Hill and Kek Lok Si will each fill a couple of hours of your time. If you don't want to be paying for a driver to sleep whilst you visit, either use the local buses or Grab taxis. And for 9 people you're going to have to hire a mini bus which can work out a lot more. Visit the Penang Forum for more on buses and routes.

Do George Town in the morning. Most museums/3D art places open at 10am. Pick up a map either at the airport or from your hotel and it will have all the places of interest marked on it. The Heritage Zone of George Town is quite compact so walking round is easy. Give the kids the map and let them direct you. You can also pick up a street art map or down load a brochure from the www.mypenang.gov.my website

Cars are a nuisance in George Town and bikes don't have children's seats. The teenagers however might like to try out the Link Bikes dotted round the place. Download the Link Bike app to get started.

Trishaws can be an excellent way to see things with small children. Perhaps go to the trishaw rank by Cititel Hotel on Penang Road and negotiate a rate. I believe it may be about RM20 per hour.

Hope this helps and someone helps you with the KL part.

PSS

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Critique on our plan for the stay during Hari Raya KL/Penang

Thanks PSS, that was very helpful. Think we will use the Trishaws and link bikes for George Town then.

For the day around Entopia, Penang Hill and Kek Lok Si would we need to take 3 grab taxis or would we be able to accommodate in 2, given there are 7 adults with 2 kids? Another reason to prefer a hired van from OJs was I understand with a hired car you can go upto level 2 car parking in Kek Lok Si which will save a significant climb up for parents. If the climb is not much and the availability is not an issue we would prefer uber or grab.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
9,582 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Critique on our plan for the stay during Hari Raya KL/Penang

Grab have a 6 seater GrabCar meaning you might only need 2. Yes, you can actually get to the three different levels at Kek Lok Si with a car. I'm not sure if a minibus will go up to the top level - the road is incredibly steep - but if they go to the middle level via the underground car park the older members can then buy tickets for the inclined lift up to the top.

As Entopia is north of Batu Ferringhi, and again you will probably be there for a couple of hours, do it as a separate trip.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
989 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Critique on our plan for the stay during Hari Raya KL/Penang

June 24- Vegetarian Dinner options is available in Suria KLCC plenty of options to choose from at the top floor where Petro Sains is located.

June 25- Don't bring food to Sunway lagoon as they will confiscate it.

June 26- If time permits maybe go over to Little India (Brickfields 5 to 10 minutes by cab from Chinatown) and I am sure you will like your dinner choices here with many of the local indian cuisines restaurants visible. Otherwise you can go to Nu sentral Mall for dinner also.

June 27- IOI Mall is in Putrajaya maybe 40 minutes cab from your hotel. Bird park is back in Lake gardens KL.

Then you want to head to Bangsar for dinner. If it was me, I will go to Bangsar for dinner on June 26 cause Chinatown is closer to Bangsar. Then I will move little India ( Brickfields ) to June 27 right after your lake gardens cause you have more time to visiting and then dinner. In Bangsar do you prefer Indian cuisine? If yes I like Anjappar(Most expensive ), Nirwana and Devi's. Bangsar near Telawi Street is really a big melting pot and huge variety of cuisines for your selection. So you can take a walk and look around too if the above don't fit your requirement.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 19 June 2017, 20:22
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Critique on our plan for the stay during Hari Raya KL/Penang

Thanks for the GrabCar idea PSS. I am assuming with the Grab we will be able to access the mid level underground parking?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Critique on our plan for the stay during Hari Raya KL/Penang

Thanks a lot KYGan777 for the feedback. Will keep the food issue in mind for Sunway Lagoon. Would you know relatively would Day 1 of Hari Raya be more crowded or Day 2 for Sunway?

Thanks for the restrauant suggestions and we will switch the days for Bangsar and Brickfields. In another post you had mentioned about some overseas restaurants behind Hotel Park Royal, what are those?

Thanks for all the help.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
989 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Critique on our plan for the stay during Hari Raya KL/Penang

Day 1 and Day 2 for Raya I think would not be a lot of difference. SO choose which is more convenient for you.

Overseas restaurant is a popular local chinese cuisine restaurant.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
3 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Critique on our plan for the stay during Hari Raya KL/Penang

For June 27, I do not feel it is feasible as IOI City Mall and the Bird Park are rather far apart, and you will be spending a lot of time and cost travelling. Would suggest you spend time in the Putrajaya / Serdang vicinity if you really want to go to District 21. There is a Farm in the City nearby if your family is into animals.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Critique on our plan for the stay during Hari Raya KL/Penang

Thanks KYGan, we will stick for Day 1 - Sunday then and hope for the best in terms of crowd :)

Thanks for your feedback tango122008. Would you suggest someplace else similar to District 21? Was thinking of Skytrex at Shah Alam, but that is also far and nothing much to do for my younger son (3 yrs). Was thinking of something active for the 2 teenagers and 2 children (6 & 3) rather than dragging them around the malls. Heard that the bird park is really nice hence we were keen on that.

Thanks again.

Reply to: Critique on our plan for the stay during Hari Raya KL/Penang
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted