We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving via SZB instead of KUL

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
157 posts
20 reviews
Arriving via SZB instead of KUL

Hello all,

I am planning a trip in which I will spend several days in Kuala Lumpur, arriving from Singapore. It looks like the cheapest flights from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur are on an airline called Firefly, which appears to be a subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines. Even though all of Firefly's aircraft are turboprop, Firefly seems to have a good safety record with no accidents that I've been able to find. And their flights all land at SZB instead of KUL - looks like SZB is smaller, has less crowding, and is much closer to the city center and closer to my likely hotel location. So I'd imagine that a taxi from SZB into Kuala Lumpur is cheaper than a taxi from KUL.

Am I missing any factors that should make me rethink my plan to fly Firefly into SZB instead of Scoot (or some other airline) into KUL? Are there issues with going through immigration at SZB? Problems getting taxis at SZB? In-flight incidents that Firefly has managed to hide from Google?

15 replies to this topic
Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
180 reviews
1. Re: Arriving via SZB instead of KUL

I take Firfefly whenever there is availability for domestic flights due to the smaller airport advantage. Everything is so much easier and faster. Never had an issue.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5,648 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Arriving via SZB instead of KUL

Hmm... Not dismissing the probability, but I have never really seen Firefly being cheaper than AirAsia, Scoot, Jetstar and Malindo Air on the Singapore-KL route. Have you checked all these airlines? When are you flying?

Anyway, Subang Airport is much smaller than KLIA, you can get out within 10-20 minutes of landing. It is also closer to KL city, about half the distance between KL-KLIA. There is a fixed fare coupon taxi counter in the terminal, you can get a budget taxi to KL city for around RM40-50. The only downside I can think of is the traffic congestion towards KL on the Federal Highway, the journey takes 30-60 mins or more depending the time of the day.

Edited: 19 March 2018, 08:08
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
157 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Arriving via SZB instead of KUL

Yes - Expedia is showing me all of those airlines, and Firefly is cheapest. Only AirAsia comes close to Firefly on the date I'm looking at.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
499 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Arriving via SZB instead of KUL

Well in that case I recommend your book firefly. Unlike Air Asia firefly also give 15kg luggage alllowace. Subang Airport is much smaller and closer to Kl.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
12,623 posts
46 reviews
5. Re: Arriving via SZB instead of KUL

I often take Firefly for my Singapore trips. You have already listed the benefits.

1. Nearer the City, save on travel time and expenses to the airport.

2. Small airport, quick check-in and walk to aircraft

3. Small aircraft, quick boarding and disembarkation

4. Turboprop, a bit slower than a jet, so a more leisurely flight

5. As flight is slightly longer, can relax and have a drink on board.

6. Luggage allowance included.

Sometimes I don't take firefly. These are the reasons

1. Given the benefits, Firefly is almost always more expensive than flights out of KUL.

2. I wanted to do duty free shopping at KLIA

3. I needed the airline points to meet my OneWorld quota, hence have to fly MAS

4. I have a connection at KUL

Some of my friends don't take firefly as they have a mistaken notion that the turboprop planes are less safe than jets.

england
Level Contributor
757 posts
38 reviews
6. Re: Arriving via SZB instead of KUL

firefly is really slow , takes at least twice the time for the distance but they do serve complimentary drink and cake or biscuit snack unlike Airasia where you don't even get a glass of water free! And they fly lower too so you get to see the scenery unfolding below.

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
12,930 posts
209 reviews
7. Re: Arriving via SZB instead of KUL

<<<Firefly is really slow, takes at least twice the time >>>

Not exactly that slow. 1 hour 20 minutes to Subang with Firefly as opposed to 1 hour to KLIA2 with Air Asia. But once you get to Subang you’re out of the plane and into the terminal (where bag pick up and immigration are easy) in less than 5 minutes unlike KLIA2 where you may have a very long walk and then long immigration queues.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
248 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: Arriving via SZB instead of KUL

I usually take firefly from Singapore to Subang, never had an issue, however foreigners who require a visa to enter Malaysia are not allowed to enter through Subang Airport. A friend of mine who had travelled with me was rejected, and had to return to Singapore and purchase his ticket to KLIA2. Lesson learnt.

If you do not need a visa to enter Malaysia, then I would recommend Firefly. It is so much easier. Even the taxi fare to town is cheaper.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5,648 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Arriving via SZB instead of KUL

rainna957, what passport and visa does your friend hold? I don't think there is a blanket ban on visa nationals entering through SZB, but the conditions of the visa/authorization (e.g. eNTRI visa waiver for Indian and PRC citizens) may stipulate that the entrant must enter through KUL.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
6,768 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: Arriving via SZB instead of KUL

“ ..... however foreigners who require a visa to enter Malaysia are not allowed to enter through Subang airport. “ Surely everyone requires a visa to enter Malaysia if they aren’t a national? Are you talking about those who need to pre-apply for a visa before they can enter the country or do you mean everyone, including those who would normally be granted a visa on arrival.

Reply to: Arriving via SZB instead of KUL
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted