We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Bak Kut Teh in Kuala Lumpur

Jakarta
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best Bak Kut Teh in Kuala Lumpur

Hi,

I am going to KL next week.

Where can I find the best Bak Kut Teh in KL?

Thanks...

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Bak Kut Teh in Kuala Lumpur

Hmm, I don't know what you mean by best? There are many types of BKT in Malaysia - strong herby ones in Melaka; pepperish herby ones with only lean meat like the ones you get in Singapore/KL or do you prefer the original sweet herby Ipoh/Seremban types with all types of intestines, lots of fat and pig stomach (which happens to be my favourite but harder to get in the cities). You could either head down to Jalan Kelang Lama to try some out; but if you are keen to stay around the city; the Medan Imbi Sun Hong Bak Kut Teh is quite nice- according to KL city centre standards. Definitely better than those fake BKT stalls inside the shopping malls. BTW - I've never seen a BKT stall in KL/Klang that serves Chinese Tea from the charcoal stove like they do in my hometown, so you might not find the original style there.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Bak Kut Teh in Kuala Lumpur

Every time I'm in KL, I go for the Bak Kut Teh in a coffee shop near the Dynasty Hotel at Jalan Ipoh. I only know the stall name in Chinese, in translation is something sounds like "Ban Lee".

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
244 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Bak Kut Teh in Kuala Lumpur

There's Mungo Jerry along Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman (Jalan TAR). The environment there isn't that nice though. There's another branch in the SS2 area, Petaling Jaya city (next to KL). You can google this.

I wouldn't say that it's the best (there's always something better, right?), but the BKT is quite alright there.

Reading
Level Contributor
154 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Bak Kut Teh in Kuala Lumpur

I was just having this discussion with my friends on Bak Kut Teh. We still couldn't understand why Singaporean like pepper soup with pork ribs (their version of Bak Kut Teh). I once had it in Newton Circus, AVOID at all cost. The worst Bak Kut Teh I've had in my life, by a very very long mile. I've not tasted Bak Kut Teh in Klang, but I certainly prefer those in Ipoh, as described by Global Traveller, but without internal organs etc.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
244 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Bak Kut Teh in Kuala Lumpur

Apparently BKT was invented in Klang. Haven't had a chance to try it there either.

Jakarta
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Bak Kut Teh in Kuala Lumpur

Thanks for all the suggestions...

Have a nice day!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
689 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Bak Kut Teh in Kuala Lumpur

There are so many of "the best" BKT in KL. In our recent trip to KL, we were brought by a local friend to a BKT place in Imbi (sorry can't help with the name as I don't read chinese) and it's superb.. RM$11.00 per person. When you get into KL, perhaps if you ask around for the one in Jalan Imbi, they might point you to the right direction... Enjoy your BKT in Kuala Lumpur!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,599 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Bak Kut Teh in Kuala Lumpur

Go buy this book. It has all the answers and more to Malaysian Street Food.

mobile88.com.my/thestar/…

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Bak Kut Teh in Kuala Lumpur

The Sun Hong Muk Koot Tea Restaurant is at 43 Medan Imbi, opposite the children's playground and within walking distance to most hotels in Bukit bintang.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Bak Kut Teh in Kuala Lumpur

The best BKT is found in Klang. The original places are hard to find but they have open branches at the business centre where ING and Maybank is. It is located at the end of Federal Highway.

The whole square is full of BKT shops. I personally like to eat at the shop called Teluk Pulai. It is a corner shop.

Near the city, you could try the one at Jalan Ipoh, down the road fr Dynasty Hotel.

Or if you are in PJ, try the one at PJ old town.