We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air asia tkt processing fee

houston
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Air asia tkt processing fee

Hi There,

I'm trying to book AiR Asia flight tkt from Kuala Lumpur to Bali(DPS). We're 4 travelling. Buying in US dollars and I do have Master and Visa credit card. On this I'll have to pay big processing fee. Please advise what should I do to save that money any other option?..I don't have citi bank card. I do have paypal account.

Thanks.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
39 reviews
39 helpful votes
1. Re: Air asia tkt processing fee

According to the Air Asia web site, there is no processing fee if payment is made using a BIG Visa card, all other cards incur charges. I have always paid a fee for flights booked with my MasterCard, both from the UK, and from within Thailand and Malaysia.

houston
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
2. Re: Air asia tkt processing fee

Thanks for ur response. Ufff it means I'll have to pay $ 120 just a processing fee.

What's this BIG VISA CARD?

Edited: 25 December 2015, 15:03
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
39 reviews
39 helpful votes
3. Re: Air asia tkt processing fee

Think its an Air Asia credit card. Look on their website for info.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
8,453 posts
121 reviews
179 helpful votes
4. Re: Air asia tkt processing fee

How did you get a processing fee of USD120? For using credit card I believe Air Asia charges RM8 per person per trip. Even with 4 persons 2 ways: 4 x 2 x 8 = RM64. Which is like USD15.

Edited: 25 December 2015, 16:57
houston
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
5. Re: Air asia tkt processing fee

It does says per person each way $15. So per person round trip will be $30 and for 4 people $120.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,795 posts
52 reviews
41 helpful votes
6. Re: Air asia tkt processing fee

I also checked earlier because I couldn't imagine we were paying so much all the time for purchasing with credit card. According to the info on this page the credit card processing fee is about RM8 per ticket per segment. Can't find that $15

airasia.com/my/…

houston
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
7. Re: Air asia tkt processing fee

Ok I started my booking to click in US dollars. Please advice when I start booking should I keep as is in Malaysian currency? ? May be that's the problem. Because $15 all together I'll have to pay processing fee I don't mind by credit card.

Thanks everyone.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
39 reviews
39 helpful votes
8. Re: Air asia tkt processing fee

I booked 4 return flights last year using British pounds and didn't pay anything like what you are saying. If I remember rightly, it was about £8 for the whole booking, about RM 54. Do a dummy run and see what happens.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,795 posts
52 reviews
41 helpful votes
9. Re: Air asia tkt processing fee

@bind23

In general when using your $-based credit card (or later bank card at foreign ATMs) you should conduct the transaction in the local currency, ie in this case ringgit. And then let your credit card or bank make the conversion to $US amount to be charged. If you for example make the Airasia purchase in $US then Airasia is making the conversion for you. Generally that will be less advantageous for you as Airasia will use the conversion to make a bit extra money on their foreign currency business.

That all being said, the credit card processing fee should be more or less the same and certainly not RM8 in one case and $15 in the other.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,795 posts
52 reviews
41 helpful votes
10. Re: Air asia tkt processing fee

And I just did a dummy booking. 2 people round trip credit card processing fee total of RM32 (4 x rm8). Then i switched currency to $US and the fee was $US7.82

And now I understand your problem! The text on the website says the fee is charged per person per leg but the amount it shows and adds to the cost is THE TOTAL, in your case $15 for four people round trip.

Edited: 26 December 2015, 14:48