We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 or 3 days help please

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
619 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
2 or 3 days help please

Hi, just putting together a trip for KL, Singapore and Langkawi over 12 days (after international flights). For KL our must sees are to go up the KL tower, view Petronas (lots of photos from different angles!) Traders skybar, Batu caves by public transport and just taking in the architecture. We fancy the food markets and like a beer or three in an evening. I was thinking the Bukit Bintang area would be ok for us? Can we get see what I've listed ok in a couple of days? If we can manage 3 days I was thinking of a day tour trip to Malacca for the culture as we've chosen Langkawi over Penang to have some rest time. At present, i'm thinking 4 nights, 3 days in each place with an extra two half days in Langkawi and Singapore. Any advice much appreciated, it's so hard deciding when I realise you can spend a lot longer in all places! First time in Malaysia, only been in Thailand, HK and Cambodia before. Many thanks for any help/suggestions

Withlocals
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Kuala Lumpur Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Kuala Lumpur Tour
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
MM Adventure Travel and Discovery
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
9 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 or 3 days help please

Are you arriving into Singapore or Kuala Lumpur from home?

Where is your departing flight from?

Could help more if we knew so we can give you an idea of the best order to visit your cities to make the most of time in each.

Good idea to forget Penang in favor of Langkawi. Penang is expensive while Langkawi is a totally tax free so alcohol is very much cheaper than anywhere else in Malaysia, where drinking is very expensive. Highly recommend the cable car experience.

You can see most of the sights in K/L that you mention on the Hop-on Hop-off bus, then do a day trip to the caves. Check the route maps online for info.

The drive to Malacca and return will eat into your day. We like to spend a night to see the sights, and at night it is just great. Very different to K/L. Accommodation within walking distance to the Heritage precinct is reasonably priced. We do that at the end of our K/L stays and go directly to the airport from Malacca for outbound flights.

Singapore is a great city but can be very expensive also. Once again , your drinks are very much more than you will be used to paying. A week in the city and you will barely scratch the surface, so 3 or 4 days will be a bit hectic. Good MRT and buses to take you everywhere. We buy an Ezy-link card that you load for use on all transport and you can redeem any balance left over when you leave. Available at most MRT stations and top ups done at same. Taxi's are cheap and safe.

Cheers

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
619 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 or 3 days help please

Thanks for your help. We're flying from the Uk to KL, then back to the UK from Singapore. We will use Air Asia to get to Langkawi and onwards from there to Singapore. A night in Melaka would be good but it's just too much travel and unpacking so we've decided to skip Melaka this time and spend 3 nights 2 days in KL. Then I think we're going for 6 nights 5.5 days in Langkawi (good to know drink is reasonable there!) then Singapore for 3 nights 2.5 days. At least by Singapore we won't be as bothered to drink too much! I know it's just scratching the surface but we didn't want to spend a fortune either and we should be able to see some of the sights in the evening. We're not bothered with shops much, just like the architecture, markets, street food, wandering different areas and we will need a bit of chill out time in Langkawi I think!

Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 or 3 days help please

Malacca have distinctive architecture, street markets and all. But since you're going to KL, you'll find plenty of them there.

Langkawi is just pure nature if you choose the correct resort and activities. And for night activities, go to Pantai Chenang in Langkawi.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 or 3 days help please

Sounds like you have it sorted. You will have a great time.

Just to note for you.

Don't be tempted to stock up on the cheap spirits or cig's to take to Singapore when you are leaving Langkawi.

There is no duty free allowance for tobacco into Singapore and you cannot bring any alcohol into Singapore from Malaysia due to regional government agreements.

It would be a different story if you were flying into Singapore from the U.K and out of K/L to home though, so don't know if you can still modify your plans.

Happy Travels.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
619 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 or 3 days help please

Thanks Famwood for that info re alcohol, I would've have known that. I've spent a long time sussing out flights though with good times to suit us and thought Singapore at the end of the trip would be good as we would've had plenty of evenings having drinks so would sightsee a bit more in the evenings. Hopefully we can purchase some duty free at Singapore airport for our return flight home!

Some people say that 3 days is enough for Langkawi but I've read others that there's plenty to see. We want a day to chill out a bit and will do trips some other days and happy to visit the main town for a wander for a couple of hours so i'm sure having 5 full days will be ok. Gonna book our main flights now and then will have to decide on itinerary and get Air Asia ones booked. Very excited!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
10,106 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 or 3 days help please

There is lots to do on Langkawi as you will see when you visit the Langkawi forum and look at the things to do on there.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
37 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 or 3 days help please

Hi @mrspink.

I agree with @famwood about Malacca and it's good you've chosen to skip it. Malacca can be done the next time you're in KL! :)

As for Langkawi, I would say 3 days is definitely enough time to rest, relax and take in all the different sights and places to go to. Once you're there, make sure you definitely go to Skybridge and go on the cable car - it's beautiful just seeing all the hills and clear sea. Don't forget that there's more to do and see in the Oriental Village like the 3D Art in Paradise museum.

I'd also recommend you go on an island hopping tour - it's worth it and quite a nice experience as you also get the opportunity to take photos of the Pregnant Maiden Island on your way there. Here's a link so you get the idea behind the name:

https:/…langkawi_000047.htm

I hope that helps.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
18 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 or 3 days help please

Might I suggest Central Market for some local arts and crafts, if you're interested in taking back a souvenir. It's usually a favourite amongst first timers to KL.

With regards to the beer in the evenings, there are plenty of gastro-pubs, such as Healy Macs, Malones, Tom, Dick and Harry's. But coming from the UK, maybe you want something different. Head to Jalan Alor or Petaling Street Chinatown for an outdoor atmosphere and maybe even dinner if you'd like to try some local food (Jalan Alor is one of the more famous street food locations).

Langkawi is definitely a better option if you intend to just relax by the beach and do some leisure activities.

Sentosa Island...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 or 3 days help please

You can WhatsApp this tour guide Mr Mohammad at +60123636450. He make tour trip at kuala lumpur Malacca putrajaya.

Reply to: 2 or 3 days help please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted