We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ankara best location

UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ankara best location

I am going to Ankara in July and want to stay in the center, I will take the 442 transfer from the airport and I want to be in a good location with cheap hotels near the Ethnological Museum thank you

5 replies to this topic
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,129 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ankara best location

pastyjohn, Do you mean the Ethnographic Museum or the Museum of Anatolian Civilisations?

enigma...

UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ankara best location

thanks just wanted to know where the best place to get off the 442 bus from the airport so i can book a hotel nearby and close to the tourist sites, old town or new town ankara

nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ankara best location

It is no longer the municipal bus 442, it is now called Belko Air, a private company owned by the local archvillain mastermind... I mean the mayor of Ankara. Here's the webpage for the route:

http://www.belkoair.com/en/hizmet-noktalari

The neighborhood where you should look for a hotel is called Ulus. The stop of the bus that is nearest to the Ethnographic Museum is Opera on the way from the airport. Unfortunately (and strangely) its stops are different on the way to the airport, and the nearest stop will be Ankara Arena, which is at least a km away. The link I gave above shows all stops on maps as well, so you can figure out the details, including in which hotel to stay by comparing that map to maps on hotel pages of TA (or other websites like booking.com, etc.). One extra info: For some reason all these Google-based maps label the Ethnographic Museum as "TC Kültür ve Turizm Bakanlığı..." (which means Ministry of Culture and Tourism, and it would have continued with Etnografya Muzesi, but ran out of space I suppose). It is near the intersection of Atatürk and Talatpaşa Boulevards.

In any case, don't worry too much about getting around in Ankara, taxi is quite cheap here compared to the prices in Europe (8.70 liras for the first 2.5km, plus 2.10 per additional km, where 1 euro is 4 liras). So if you can't figure out your way, hail a taxi.

With that out of the way, let's address the elephant in the room: Do you want to see a particular thing in Ethnographic Museum? Because it isn't the first museum that pops to people's minds when sightseeing in Ankara. The top two museums are Museum of Anatolian Civilizations, and the Mausoleum of Ataturk. Also the Citadel (walking distance from MAC) would rank above Ethnographic Museum in my list of sites to see. You can tour the latter in about 1 hour easily. Other possible places include Çengelhan Rahmi Koç Museum, Independence War Museum, walking around in Kızılay to get the feel of the city, Kocatepe Mosque, Hamamönü restored old neighborhood, Republic Museum, Museum of Natural History (only if you like geology, rocks and minerals), Air Force Museum, Resim Heykel (classical art museum), Cermodern (modern art museum), and several very large shopping malls. Also keep in mind that most Turkish museums are closed on Mondays.

Finally take a look at my reply post in the following thread (it is #3 on the first page):

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29865…

Edited: 24 May 2017, 02:48
Ankara, Turkey
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ankara best location

Ulus area at night is not considered safe by the locals.

nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ankara best location

Update: I recently found out that taxi prices increased again (second time in 2017), thanks to our almost bankrupt economy and booming inflation. New pricing is 4+3x liras, where x is distance in km.

Edited: 12 June 2017, 05:17
Reply to: Ankara best location
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted