We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ankara...is it worth a visit?

Newquay, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ankara...is it worth a visit?

I am very fortunate in that I have visited Turkey many times, both travelling around and beach breaks. I am wondering if Ankara is worth a visit if I have been to may cities including Istanbul. I am thinking of flying to Ankara, visiting, then driving to the Hot Air Balloon Cappadocia, and again discovering the area before driving Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated.

6 replies to this topic
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Ankara...is it worth a visit?

No its not interesting .

Edited: 16 August 2017, 23:46
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,196 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ankara...is it worth a visit?

hannah s, I disagree with the previous poster. Ankara is not a resort or a beach city but it is the second largest city of Turkey with a few good attractions. I find Ataturk's Mausoleum, The Republic Museum in there, the Ankara Castle, and the Museum of Anatolian Civilisations very interesting, informative and educative. Ankara definitely desrves at least 1 or better yet 2 days of your time since you have seen so many different parts of Turkey already.

good luck,

enigma...

nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ankara...is it worth a visit?

Ankara is not as touristically interesting as its size (pop:5M) would suggest. But it still has a lot to offer to tourists who are interested in history. Most of them are actually geared towards local population.

Enigma gave a good list of the must-see places (although I like the Independence War museum more than the Republic museum). As he suggests, you can fill 2 days here. Here is a paragraph I copy/paste from an older post:

The top two museums are Museum of Anatolian Civilizations, and the Mausoleum of Ataturk. Also the Citadel (walking distance from MAC) would rank high. Other possible places include Ethnographic Museum, Çengelhan Rahmi Koç Museum, Independence War Museum and Republic Museum, walking around in Kızılay to get the feel of the city, Kocatepe Mosque, bits of Roman ruins in Ulus, Hamamönü restored old neighborhood; and those for the locals: Museum of Natural History (only if you like geology, rocks and minerals), Air Force Museum, Resim Heykel (classical art museum), Cermodern (modern art museum), and several very large shopping malls. Also keep in mind that most Turkish museums are closed on Mondays.

here is a good narrative I wrote years ago but keep linking it in my newer posts:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29865…

Moreover, Ankara's central location makes it a perfect base for exploring other parts of central Anatolia.

Somewhat worthwhile places in daytrip range (less than 2 hours): Konya (Seljuk capital and home of Mevlana Rumi and his whirling dervishes, nearby Çatalhöyük is the oldest known fortified city on Earth), Gordion (Phrygian capital (king Midas, Gordian knot), also the furthest point of Greek invasion), Eskişehir (nice liveable city with elaborate bridges crossing its small river in which there even are Venetian gondolas; also has an old quarter that feels very Ottoman-rural, but not really touristic I guess).

Awesome places in driveable range (2-4 hours) but would be too tiring if you also drive back on the same day: Hittite heartland, Cappadocia (needs several days of stay), Safranbolu

Edited: 17 August 2017, 05:07
Level Contributor
742 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ankara...is it worth a visit?

The Anatolian civilizations museums is interesting while experts deplore some imprecision in the captions of the exhibits.

Otherwise Ankara competes badly with other location. It will really depend what else is on your list. I would assign time to Konya instead of Ankara for instance.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
38 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ankara...is it worth a visit?

Agree with most answers that Ankara is an impressive city with some very imoressive sites. In addition, some walking streets and popular areas are intersting, lively and pleasant. I am in Ankara now, enjoying my stay very much.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,268 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ankara...is it worth a visit?

I always enjoy a visit to Ankara and not in the last place because there are some real good restaurants there! One thing not mentioned before; we did a day trip to Beypazarı from Ankara a lovely small town!

Reply to: Ankara...is it worth a visit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted