We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Guidelines( Ankara/Antalyia

Pakistan
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Need Guidelines( Ankara/Antalyia

Hi,Need some guidelines as i been travelling regularly but never been to ankara or antalyia, I want recommendation as i am travelling in late December with my family and kids, Please guide me keeping in view as i am travelling with kids and i have two nights and can go only one place. thanks in advance

Anadolu Medeniyetleri Muzesi
History Museums, Natural History Museums
Haci Bayram Mosque (Haci Bayram Camii)
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites
4 replies to this topic
Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Guidelines( Ankara/Antalyia

Definitely Antalya out of those two. Ankara will be very cold in December and there isn't much interesting for children to see or do.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,317 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Guidelines( Ankara/Antalyia

farhan266, hard to answer, it depends what you want to do these two days! It will be much more warmer in Antalya but possibly not a real beach weather. Once I was in Antalya in December as we were flying out and we had the biggest storm.

In Ankara you will face real winter, it will be cold but there is more to see . You can compare the old citadel of Ankara a bit with Kaleici, the old part of Antalya. Both are very nice to spent some time. In Ankara you can visit Atatürk's mausoleum, the historical museum (very interesting!), and some more that I have not visited (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g298…)

Some good food and good hotels in Ankara, also shopping is better in Ankara.

Weigh that off against the Antalya's possible sunshine, Kaleici, visit to Düden, a visit to Aspendos or Termessos.

Both places are nice in winter having each it's own to offer, good luck!

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
7,600 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Guidelines( Ankara/Antalyia

I would say Antalya as well as you have children with you. Whatever the weather you will find more to do. If nothing else many of the hotels have indoor pools and entertainment. Out and about there is as VR says Kaleici and other historical sites. On a clear winter day the views from the top of the Olympos Cable Car are amazing http://www.olymposteleferik.com/en/home/ nearby is Ulupinar where you dine on platforms set over the waterfall.

Ankara is the capital city but in December could be pretty cold.

Browse through the forums. Here's a link to the Antalya board as well https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g29796…

nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Guidelines( Ankara/Antalyia

Tough choice.

I would suggest Ankara, because you'll mostly be visiting museums there, which is an activity not prevented by weather. There may be more touristic things to see and do in Antalya, but those are mostly outdoors. And I do think Antalya has worse weather (sure it is warmer, but plain cold weather is not as bad as a rainstorm with strong winds, which is what you may get in Antalya. You can walk around in cold, but not in a storm). So if you might come again in a different season in the near future, you can plan for a longer stay in Antalya then. If not, then read about both places and pick the one you like more to see.

So in summary, both places could present really bad weather at that time of the year. Ankara may be very cold, Antalya may be very stormy. But both may have nice weather too. So don't over-analyze it, pick one and pack suitably (thick clothes for Ankara, raincoat and cheap umbrella to be destroyed for Antalya) and hope for the best. With global warming you never know what the weather might do this year anyway.

Reply to: Need Guidelines( Ankara/Antalyia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ankara
Recent Conversations