We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Ankara

Tehran Province...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
2 days in Ankara

I will be visiting Ankara for a few days, I will have around 2.5 days to visit around. What places, cultural,historical sights should I visit?

I would appreciate your help.

1 reply
nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: 2 days in Ankara

Activities around the citadel:

Museum of Anatolian Civilizations (must see)

Citadel

Oldest buildings (mosques and hamams from 12th century)

Çengelhan Rahmi Koç Museum (early 20th century industrialization theme, but the building is much older)

Other things around the old city:

Hamamönü restored Ottoman Neighborhood

Haji Bayram Mosque / Temple of Augustus

Ancient Roman Bath ruins

First Parliament (i.e. Independence War Museum)

Second Parliament (i.e. Republic Museum)

Ethnographic Museum (small museum that focuses on Seljuk and Ottoman crafts)

Please keep in mind that Turkish museums are closed on Mondays, and open the rest of the week. Here is a good narrative of everything above, that I wrote years ago but keep linking it in my newer posts:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29865…

Places not explained in that thread:

Mausoleum of Ataturk (one of the top places to see. It also has a very large museum underneath.)

Kocatepe Mosque (Ottoman style mosque built in 20th century, so it is larger then all preceding mosques of Turkey. It also has the heaviest chandelier in Turkey)

Kızılay neighborhood (pedestrian only streets with lots of shops and Turkish fast food. Visit to get the feel of local life. There's also a midsize shopping mall). Tunalı Hilmi Avenue and 7th Avenue serve similar purposes in other parts of the city.

Atakule (observation tower on high ground, with a rotating restaurant at the top. This and the citadel are the best vantage points in the city. Currently it is under renovation and they are building a shopping mall under it, but I guess it will be opened soon)

From this point onward are things that may be interesting in longer stays....

Select shopping malls (there are dozens of them, but these are the biggest):

Ankamall (subway access, has IMAX theater)

Cepa + Kentpark (subway access, these are two very popular malls adjacent to each other)

Armada (subway access)

NataVega + Anatolium (a bit too far, but NataVega has IKEA, Anatolium has an aquarium)

Panora (not as big, but is the prettiest)

Moreover, Ankara's central location makes it a perfect base for exploring other parts of central Anatolia:

Somewhat worthwhile places in daytrip range (less than 2 hours): Konya (Seljuk capital and home of Mevlana Rumi and his whirling dervishes, nearby Çatalhöyük is the oldest known fortified city on Earth), Gordion (Phrygian capital (king Midas, Gordian knot), also the furthest point of Greek invasion), Eskişehir (nice liveable city with elaborate bridges crossing its small river in which there even are Venetian gondolas; also has an old quarter that feels very Ottoman-rural, but very similar to Ankara's old neighborhoods around the citadel). Konya and Eskişehir are by high speed rail.

Awesome places in driveable range (2-4 hours) but would be too tiring if you also drive back on the same day: Hittite heartland, Cappadocia (needs several days of stay), Safranbolu

Reply to: 2 days in Ankara
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted