We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Novak's Hungarian Restaurant

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic

Here's my latest find-I'm sure some of you already know about it, but here's my review

I had always heard about Novak's ever since my college days in Corvallis, but never been there until last week... why did I wait to go? The place was pretty busy for a Tuesday night and of course thats the best sign of a good restaruant.

The food here was fresh and very tasty. The soup actually tasted homemade and cucumber salad with yogurt was excellent. I went to Hungary about 10 years ago and the food here tasted almost exactly how I remembered food tasting in Hungary. The pearl noodles-I was very excited when I saw that on the menu.

The place also has a pastry chef and the tortes there are excellent as well. The makos torte(poppy seed) had 1/3 of the flour removed and replaced with poppy seeds. The waitress even informed us that if we eat this we would not pass a drug test. Since no drug testing was in my near future-I decided to order and wow was the makos torte good.

Mentioned in this post
Sybaris
$$$$, American, Fusion
$$ - $$$, European, Eastern European, Central European
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,527 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Novak's Hungarian Restaurant

I have heard really good things about Novak's also. Haven't been there though. Family in Albany says it is good, but the true test are some friends. They came from Hungary and when they do road trips, they stop at Novak's. Glad you enjoyed it. Looks like we need to make a stop there when we are in the area. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Albany
Albany
Oregon
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,384 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Novak's Hungarian Restaurant

Cucumbers and yogurt salad sounds so good!

Tell me about "pearl noodles" :)

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Novak's Hungarian Restaurant

pearl noodles are just some sort of noodle 'dough balls' for lack of a better description...

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,003 posts
1,098 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Novak's Hungarian Restaurant

We haven't been there for several years, but it was good then and sounds as if it still is!

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Novak's Hungarian Restaurant

The pearl noodles are almost like German spaetzle noodles. This place is pretty authentic. They used to be located in what looked to be an old 2 bedroom house and it was always a long wait for a table and the tables were really packed in. I think they moved about 7 years ago to a much bigger building and if you go at about 5pm, there is no wait but it still fills up by 6pm. They actually have breakfast now and it is a great value but the menu is very limited and only worth it if you live in town. I think Joseph Novak recently retired but he has quite a story to tell of his escape from Hungary. Great Hungarian food and great service.

6. Re: Novak's Hungarian Restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 04:17
Get answers to your questions about Albany