We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip tooran,algeria

Denver, Colorado
2 posts
trip tooran,algeria

i am supposedly in oran,algeria by now.but my trip was cancel due to my boyfriends company will not let him out of the camp for security reason.my question is...if because of the security reason that my boyfriend cannot go out of the camp,is it safe for american citizen to travel or go on vacation in oran?

and what are the possibilities that my boyfriends company will let him out of the camp?how is the security in oran,algeria right now?

Middleburg, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: trip tooran,algeria

There is not a big problem. Just use common sense and be aware. Do not travel at night. Keep to the cities and the main roads.

I suggest also that Americans act in a manner of respect toward customs and traditions - as far as dress - no need to Hijab or anything, but don;t go around in short shorts or tank tops.

I'm not sure what camp your boyfriend is in. Is he Algerian?

Eance, France
Level Contributor
7 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: trip tooran,algeria

Not sure where your boyfriend works in Oran, I can only assume he works in Arzew as, to my knowledge, there are no camps in Oran for foreign workers.

Only just read this, so apologies for the lateness of the reply but the security situation in Oran right at this moment is quite difficult. During the period of Ramadan there is always a large upscale in violence, and there have been over 200 crimes of violence reported after the first 3 days of Ramadan.

Generally however there is minimal risk in Oran providing you stay out of certain areas, dont wander the streets at night alone and remain reasonably low profile. There is no more reason for an American to be targetted than any other citizen of the world, I have been here for over 18 months and to my knowledge there have been less than 5 incidents of foreigners being targets of street crime.

Hope this is of some help if your boyfriend is still working here.

3. Re: trip tooran,algeria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 23:16
Get answers to your questions about Oran