We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good times to visit La Serena and Valle del Elqui

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
220 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Good times to visit La Serena and Valle del Elqui

I'm looking at possibly visiting this region in late August. I know that's towards the end of winter in the Southern Hemisphere, but from my online research it looks like it would not be too cold there. Actually, my real concern is rain, as part of my reason for visiting is to star gazing. I guess that August is one of the rainier months, but still pretty low rainfall.

Wondering if anyone has had experience travelling in this area in late August and has any thoughts? (Also, any thoughts about Santiago at that time of year, though I feel like when you're in a city weather's not as much of an issue)

Mentioned in this post
Santiago
Santiago
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
3 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,752 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good times to visit La Serena and Valle del Elqui

Yes possible in August not much rain in the La Serena area. In Santiago and even more Valparaiso it may well rain.

Mentioned in this post
La Serena
La Serena
Coquimbo Region, Chile
Santiago
Santiago
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
220 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good times to visit La Serena and Valle del Elqui

Thank you.

Coquimbo, Chile
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good times to visit La Serena and Valle del Elqui

Elqui Valley has the characteristic of having approximately 300 sunny days. However in winter it is still cold in the mornings and nights. In fact if you are lucky you you can see Snow in Pisco Elqui and Paihuano.

Mentioned in this post
Pisco Elqui
Pisco Elqui
Coquimbo Region, Chile
Reply to: Good times to visit La Serena and Valle del Elqui
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted