We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How can i arrive to La Silla observatory without a car?

6 posts
Save Topic
How can i arrive to La Silla observatory without a car?

Hei!

I have booked visit to la Silla at 8th October, but now i see this is a huge problem to get there without a car. The offices doesn't respond to my emails. Anyone plan to go there on this day? Or have an experience what to do? Where to find people or team i can go with? Thanks!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,289 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How can i arrive to La Silla observatory without a car?

The ESO website has complete information about visiting La Silla. Your best bet is to rent a car in La Serena and drive there. Read the information about driving times, food and fuel carefully. Obviously the big telescopes are in remote areas and it will take you a couple of hours to get there. Leave plenty of time.

eso.org/public/…

eso.org/public/…

Mentioned in this post
La Serena
La Serena
Coquimbo Region, Chile
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How can i arrive to La Silla observatory without a car?

But i'm not driving. This is the whole point...

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
769 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How can i arrive to La Silla observatory without a car?

AFAIK, the ESO sites don't have group tours with transport. Maybe catch a bus to a nearby town(Incahuasi looks closest; it's still 53km from there so would be a very expensive taxi but you may get a lift, once you're off the PanAm it's a secondary road, but appears paved. With a local or a confident tourist driving you'd probably do it in about 40 minutes from Incahuasi).

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,289 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How can i arrive to La Silla observatory without a car?

I think you will find a visit difficult if you don't have access to a vehicle. Incahuasi is a tiny village and is unlikely to run to a taxi service.

Puerto Montt, Los...
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How can i arrive to La Silla observatory without a car?

this operator do trips to La Silla and other observatories near La Serena

www.ingservtur.cl/trasladoobservatorios.html

Mentioned in this post
La Serena
La Serena
Coquimbo Region, Chile
6. Re: How can i arrive to La Silla observatory without a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2017, 13:16