We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it still illegal to travel to the white desert?

C M
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
Is it still illegal to travel to the white desert?

I scheduled a camping trip for December, but was just told that it is still illegal to go to that area.

Thank you!

Edited: 1 year ago
7 replies to this topic
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
8,903 posts
632 reviews
250 helpful votes
1. Re: Is it still illegal to travel to the white desert?

As far as I can find out, nothing has changed from the Egyptian government regarding access.

Earlier this year the uk government lifted the travel restrictions from Fayoum, and last month from the road to Siwa. Check your own government advice for travel restrictions.

Even if you were permitted access, the temperature in the desert plummets at night and December is very cold for camping.

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
63 reviews
65 helpful votes
2. Re: Is it still illegal to travel to the white desert?

we have been getting conflicting reports i have

quotes from three companies saying it is open and a few who say it is not ??

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
8,903 posts
632 reviews
250 helpful votes
3. Re: Is it still illegal to travel to the white desert?

Check with your government advisory, there’s always going to be someone who will take your money and risk getting past the army checkpoints. The state of emergency was lifted last year but there has been no official information on lifting restrictions to access.

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
63 reviews
65 helpful votes
4. Re: Is it still illegal to travel to the white desert?

thank you catherine

MRJ
Poland
Level Contributor
187 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Is it still illegal to travel to the white desert?

The UK government has no jurisdiction over the Egyptian government, so they can’t restrict anything when it comes to Egypt. Maybe the UK government has some RECOMMENDATIONS for its own subjects when it comes to travel but no way it can restrict one from going to places in Egypt.

A lot of times the Egyptian tour operators will not engage in providing services to go to certain destinations within Egypt claiming that the place is restricted. And they do it, so they can take you somewhere else where it’s easier for them to organize and charge you the same amount of money. I would suggest you contact any hotel or travel agent that is located directly in Bahariya Oasis. Don’t use anyone from Cairo. And let us know if it’s really off limits. I was hoping to do a few day visit to Jarra Cave. I was in a White Desert in July 2021 and there were no restrictions then.

6. Re: Is it still illegal to travel to the white desert?

Tripadvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

What are forum guidelines? Edited: 1 year ago

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
35 reviews
97 helpful votes
7. Re: Is it still illegal to travel to the white desert?

please see this link https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294200-i9124-k14098364-Trip_from_Marsa_Matruh_to_Kharga-Egypt.html#114938079

Reply to: Is it still illegal to travel to the white desert?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.