We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 night/3 Day desert safari w/ children

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
638 posts
40 reviews
55 helpful votes
2 night/3 Day desert safari w/ children

Does anyone have experience doing a short desert tour with children who will be 8, 10 and 12? My husband really loves the desert but I'm concerned the traveling may be a bit rough for the kids. We've taken them to Tikal in Guatamala which was no walk in the park but this sounds a bit more strenuous. I need to decide between the tour listed below or going to Aswan....

Any thoughts?

Day 01:

- Arrival in Bahariya; check in hotel

- local safari tour: through the old centre of the oasis, the black mountains, the sand dunes, salt lake, the gardens, pyramid mountain. At sunset we go to the mountain with the ruin called "The English house"

Day 02:

- After breakfast we start the safari tour to the White Desert. This tour is going off and on road, with 4x4 cars. We will stop and drive to all the special areas between Bahariya and the White Desert, like:

• the black desert

• the valley of El Haize.

• the crystal mountains

• the valley of l'Agabat

• the White Desert

- We will make the safari camp in the White desert and cook a fresh meal for dinner.

- In the evening we make nice Bedouin music

Day 03:

- After breakfast we drive back to Bahariya oasis and visit the cultural places, like the museum (with some of the golden mummies), the 3 tombs and the ruin of Alexander the Great.

- After lunch transfer to Cairo

Cairo
Level Contributor
20 posts
1. Re: 2 night/3 Day desert safari w/ children

Hi,

I don't know about this desert trip, but I could recommend a desert guide named Mahmoud Bahr. He organizes short and longer desert trips to the White and Black Desert.

If you have time, I would suggest to stay two nights in the desert especially if you like deserts. Also, you will probably visit other museums and cultural places on your journey in Egypt, so if you are in the desert, you should enjoy the desert fully! It's really beautiful there. The first night you can overnight in Agabat, the second night you should opt for the White Desert.

Mahmoud has experience organizing desert trips for families and he provides everything: food, sleeping bags, water, windbreaks, etc. We didn't have to bring anything to the desert and he cooked our dinner on a wooden campfire. I think that your children will have a great time running around in the sand, climbing the dunes and exploring the desert by 4x4. He also has tents for young children to sleep in if they don't want to sleep in the open air. You find pictures and information on his http://www.whitedesert.page.tl

Aswan is a great place to stay as well. But it will take you a 12 hours train ride from Cairo to get to Aswan. If you are in Luxor, you could easily combine your stay with it. But coming from Cairo, it will take you a day or a night to get there.

Anyway, enjoy your time in Egypt!

2. Re: 2 night/3 Day desert safari w/ children

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.