We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Tao - GO KING TRAVEL (Sairee Beach) - Motor Bike Scam

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Koh Tao - GO KING TRAVEL (Sairee Beach) - Motor Bike Scam

STAY AWAY FROM 'GO KING TRAVEL' DO NOT RENT A MOTOR BIKE FROM THERE!!!! Big big scam. Paid $200 to rent. Checked the bike all over for scratches and marked them off on the contract. When I brought the bike back he apparently found a scratch which wasn't there before, it defiantly was there before!!! He wanted 3000 Baht for my passport back. I refused and went to the police. The police was very friendly but could not help me. In the end I gave the money to the police and they got my passport back for me as I was scared that he would take my money and not give the passport!

STAY AWAY FROM 'GO KING TRAVEL' Sairee Beach

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,577 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Tao - GO KING TRAVEL (Sairee Beach) - Motor Bike Scam

Sad to hear this but there are a lot of similar topics.

Not all Koh Tao rentals are scammers but if you don't want any problems avoid to hire a bike. Taxi and taxi boat are available everywhere, more expensive but more safe too.

Enjoy Koh Tao

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Tao - GO KING TRAVEL (Sairee Beach) - Motor Bike Scam

Not all of them are scamers but judging by all the complaints there are on here a number of them are. Sorry about your bad experience but you should never leave your passport with anyone if they won't allow you to rent the scooter without a leaving it then move on.

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Tao - GO KING TRAVEL (Sairee Beach) - Motor Bike Scam

There are plenty of reputable scooter renters on Koh Tao so it's always sad to hear about problems. Your best option is to ask for recommendations when you get to the island.

Edited: 09 November 2013, 11:40
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Tao - GO KING TRAVEL (Sairee Beach) - Motor Bike Scam

We had the same experience, for a tiny scratch on the mud guard they changed us 4500 baht for passport back. STAY AWAY FROM HERE!!!

Sussex
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Tao - GO KING TRAVEL (Sairee Beach) - Motor Bike Scam

Wish we'd seen your review a month ago. Rented two bikes. Didn't scratch or dent them at all. Guy is a complete a***ehole. Charged us 4500 baht for micro scratch on plastic that we hadn't spotted. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. Very unpleasant character and expensive experience.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Koh Tao - GO KING TRAVEL (Sairee Beach) - Motor Bike Scam

STAY AWAY!!! Rented 2 bikes for a month with my wife as were on honeymoon and wanted to visit the island at our own pace, plus I was keen on a bit of off roading. Was very aware of the reputations of the bike rental company after a few weeks but by then it was too late. I returned the bikes only for the c**t to find a mark he had noted on the wrong side of the bike. €4500 for the pleasure.

A friend who lives on the island recommends RPM in Mae Haad as being friendly and trustworthy, and the lovely people at the Banyans Bar do rental and are keener on killing your liver than taken money from you.

The only advice if you are in the same situation, PAY THEM. Don't argue, or call them liar as this is the biggest insult for Thais. There are reports of arguments escalating to knives/machetes being pulled and the odd stabbing by Go King. Call the police if that makes you feel better but don't expect that to make a blind bit of difference.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Koh Tao - GO KING TRAVEL (Sairee Beach) - Motor Bike Scam

Artic, sorry to hear of your experience. These experiences do exists. I am posting for the group as I have had

only good experiences over the past 3 months. I have rented a few bikes on Koh Phangan and now just rented my first ATV on Koh Tao. Every time I rent I always try

and negotiate: 1. to get a better price 2. It shows you have done this before. I also video the entire bike, undercarriage as well. When possible I lead them to believe I could return if the experience is positive. Do these things and you will earn their respect and be prepared if they try something.

If going to Koh Tao and are comfortable with ATV's and seeking adventure, I highly recommend renting one and exploring the back roads to Mango Beach and around that area.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Koh Tao - GO KING TRAVEL (Sairee Beach) - Motor Bike Scam

Artic, sorry to hear of your experience. These experiences do exists. I am posting for the group as I have had

only good experiences over the past 3 months. I have rented a few bikes on Koh Phangan and now just rented my first ATV on Koh Tao. Every time I rent I always try

and negotiate: 1. to get a better price 2. It shows you have done this before. I also video the entire bike, undercarriage as well. When possible I lead them to believe I could return if the experience is positive. Do these things and you will earn their respect and be prepared if they try something.

If going to Koh Tao and are comfortable with ATV's and seeking adventure, I highly recommend renting one and exploring the back roads to Mango Beach and around that area.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Koh Tao - GO KING TRAVEL (Sairee Beach) - Motor Bike Scam

Same happened to me last month. I returned the undamaged scooter and he pushed it out of sight and came back to show me a tiny scratch and a broken plastic exhaust guard. He wanted 6000. I told him I would go to the police. They were friendly but useless. Ended up paying 4000. Do not rent from her.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,675 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Koh Tao - GO KING TRAVEL (Sairee Beach) - Motor Bike Scam

Unfortunately Ko Tao is well known as the main place in Thailand for damaged motorbike scams.

People who choose to ignore all previous warnings, do so at their own risk.

Personally, I would like to see all rental bikes completely removed from the island.