We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 day trip to Ninh Binh in March

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 day trip to Ninh Binh in March
Save

Hello everyone,

My wife, 4 yr old daughter and I will be visiting Vietnam for the first time (we are very avid travellers but this is our first trip to Asia). I am finding it a bit tricky to plan the Ninh Binh part of the trip. We will be in Hanoi and planning to head to Ninh Binh on the 6th of March.

- I booked a home stay in Tam Coc after reading that it’s a good base - is it? Or is there a better option?

- what would your recommendations be for this time of year? What areas are worth seeing if we are short on time as such?

- we would like to head directly to a Halong Bay 1N overnight cruise on the morning of Mar 8th - are there any recommended trips that can take us from ninh binh (or tam coc) to the cruise?

- when in Ninh Binh - are there any recommended tours that can take us to the areas we will be visiting? (Ideally pick us up from Hanoi as well - and perhaps make a short stop in the incense villages on the way)

I’ve asked those questions to the reception of the home stay but they’re extremely short on answers and to be honest not very helpful - so I’m happy to pick something else if there are any recommendations. For reference I booked tam coc melody homestay

Thanks for all your help!

Ramy

14 replies to this topic
Luang Prabang...
Destination Expert
for Sapa, Bac Ha, Bao Lac, Mu Cang Chai
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
289 reviews
157 helpful votes
1. Re: 2 day trip to Ninh Binh in March
Save

"I booked a home stay in Tam Coc after reading that it’s a good base - is it? Or is there a better option?"

Tam Coc village is the tourism epicenter of Ninh Binh province. Often, when folks say they are going to Ninh Binh, they really mean Tam Coc.

It's a very laid back, quiet, tourist friendly destination and is an excellent place just to chill out after visiting big cities like Ha Nai.

The sights and sites in Tam Coc can be reached on foot, bicycle,and taxi. Very easy.

However, if you want to explore more of the province, then you need transportation and you may want a guide.

Your idea of hiring a car and driver from Ha Noi is a good idea. You can make a day of sightseeing out of it. Suggest you open up Google Maps and look for points of interest: potential stops on your journey from Ha Noi.

You might find the travelfish website useful:

https://www.travelfish.org/location/vietnam/hanoi_and_surrounds/ninh_binh/ninh_binh

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam, Hanoi
Level Contributor
16,928 posts
2. Re: 2 day trip to Ninh Binh in March
Save

Toan, a Ninh Binh local tour guide, can help you with everything you need, including transfers between Hanoi and Ninh Binh, and Ninh Binh and Halong Bay.

This is his website, and yes, we have used him several times -

https://ninhbinhpuluongtours.wordpress.com/

Scott

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
12,343 posts
275 reviews
799 helpful votes
3. Re: 2 day trip to Ninh Binh in March
Save

"I booked a home stay in Tam Coc after reading that it’s a good base?"

Yes.

Take a look at the link for Toan, to see the tours he has put together. Or, do research to determine what is of "worth" to YOU. Then, Toan can create a tour for you.

Edited: 19 January 2023, 21:54
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
12,343 posts
275 reviews
799 helpful votes
4. Re: 2 day trip to Ninh Binh in March
Save

For Halong Bay

https://haiphongtours.com/

Can also arrange pick up in Tam Coc.

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
5. Re: 2 day trip to Ninh Binh in March
Save

Thank you so much! This is very helpful information. I read more about the differences between Tam coc and Trang An boat and given we are going in March it seems like Tam coc boat ride won’t be as special.

Also i noticed that the Mua cave and hike is not going to be easy with my daughter so we are likely skipping it.

The boat would be our highlight basically, if we intend to take the boat from Trang An is Tam coc still the best location to stay at or would you recommend somewhere else?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
12,343 posts
275 reviews
799 helpful votes
6. Re: 2 day trip to Ninh Binh in March
Save

Yes, stay in Tam Coc!

Regardless of where you do the boat ride; which will only be a couple hours of your visit.

Your guide will take you around; the sites are spread around anyhow.

7. Re: 2 day trip to Ninh Binh in March

This post has been removed at the author's request.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
15,278 posts
40 reviews
31 helpful votes
8. Re: 2 day trip to Ninh Binh in March
Save

Might as well start your own thread, ATW.

Cheers,

John

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
9. Re: 2 day trip to Ninh Binh in March
Save

Great questions though 😀

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
10. Re: 2 day trip to Ninh Binh in March
Save

Thank you .. I’ve reached out to Toan!

Reply to: 2 day trip to Ninh Binh in March
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.