We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety?

Oslo, Norway
1 post
Save Topic
Safety?

Hi. We are two persons spending 2 weeks in Trou aux biches in January. It will be our first time to Mauritius. I'm wondering about the safety for tourists. Can someone please give me some advice?

Like, if I leave my belongings on Mont Choisy beach to take a swim, should I expect these to be lost? Or should I stay far away from Mont Choisy because it is a deserted beach? How common is assault and robbery?

What about if we went on some hiking/trekking up in the mountains. Is that considered safe?

Thanks for your advice...

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
41,391 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety?

Hi and welcome to Mauritius forum.

First can I say that Choisy is not a deserted beach - it has both locals and tourists every day of the week. It's very popular and almost always busy.

I really wouldn't leave your belongings on the beach.

Please read this thread:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293816-i9265-k8…

Also these:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293816-i9265-k9…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g488103-i9611-k8…

But please do not be put off.

Common sense precautions do go a long way.

Edited: 31 December 2015, 05:27
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,639 posts
1,877 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety?

No destination is crime free. Mauritius is regarded as relatively low crime destination. However that does not mean I would leave high value belongings on the beach. Opportunistic thieves are everywhere.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,391 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety?

There have been a spate of robberies in Grand Baie area by motorcyclists snatching bags.

The latest involved a French tourist on January 2nd who was heading back to their villa in Péreybère, when two cyclists assaulted and snatched his ​bag containing personal documents ,150 euros and a sum of Rs 10 000 before fleeing.

The injured victim filed a complaint to Grand Baie police and was admitted to hospital.

So please do be careful with your belongings when walking in Grand Baie/Pereybere.

defimedia.info/un-touriste-en-clinique-apres…

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,144 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety?

This is not the news tourists want to hear but it's best to be aware and take suitable precautions.

I've noticed increased traffic in Grand Baie over the last few years, nothing like it was even four years ago, the pavements are crowded and we've often had to walk in the road which compromises safety with cars, buses and motorbikes driving past. It makes you an easy target for bag snatchers. For the French tourist to be assaulted is very worrying indeed

Edenvale, South...
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety?

Another worrying incident indeed. One of the reasons I prefer not to be in Grand Baie but rather on the west coast or even the east coast as they are much quieter in terms of traffic.

6. Re: Safety?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 January 2016, 18:54
Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,144 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety?

This was in daylight too. How shocking.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,391 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety?

Interesting article in Defi following the serious assault and kidnapping of a hotel taxi driver at Balaclava highlighting the security situation in that area where several hotels are situated:

www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx…

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,144 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety?

Thanks for the link Bronia. Visitors and locals need to be aware of these issues.

By the way it appears we have a deleted post #6 which was another link to a crime in Mauritius.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,391 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety?

The delete was about the Grand Baie tourist rape - incidentally someone is in custody now.

Incidentally this took place on the dirt track leading to Super U so is important that people should be aware not to use it:

www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx…

Get answers to your questions about Mont Choisy