We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus schedule from Chefchaouen to Tangier?

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Bus schedule from Chefchaouen to Tangier?

I asked this on the general Morocco forum, but decided to post on the Chefchaouen forum also:

Does anyone know the schedule of various bus routes from Chefchaouen to Tangier? I checked on the CTM site and couldn't find any options when I searched from Chefchaouen to both Tanger and Tanger GR. The date in particular is October 8. What are my other options?

My concern is that I'll be doing Chefchaouen as a day trip from Tangier, but need to get back to Tangier that night since I'm catching an early ferry from Spain the next day. I don't want to arrive in Chefchaouen and find out the last bus has already left or something like that and leave me stranded and missing my ferry ride the next morning. So I just want to head into the trip with a relative plan in place for my return.

Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
830 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus schedule from Chefchaouen to Tangier?

The CTM website does not seem to be functioning properly today. Impossible to tell you what time the departures from Chefchaouen are for sure, as they might be changing the timetable. The bus journey takes around 3 hours (cost around 50 dirhams), and of course you have to walk down the hill from the town to the bus station. Apart from CTM, there are other bus companies, notable Nejme Chamal, but they do not have an online timetable.

Not sure how you plan on getting to Chefchaouen on your day trip, but I would suggest that when you get there you pop into the bus station to find out the times of the buses that leave in the P.M.

Another way would be to get a bus into Tetouan, and then a bus from Tetouan to Tangier.

If time is of the essence, I would opt for a shared taxi in each direction (cost around 100 to 120 dirhams). You can get a shared Grand Taxi in the bus station Gare Routiere to go from Tangier to Chefchouen. Similarly, you could get a shared taxi back from Chefchaouen to Tangier. The newer taxis are quite comfortable, and the taxi would deliver you to Tangier Gare Routiere. The taxi is quicker than the bus.

I'm not quite sure where the Grand Taxi stand is in Chefchaouen, but if anyone out there has done this journey recently perhaps they would be kind enough to tell us (and how much they paid).

Edited: 10 September 2017, 01:49
Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus schedule from Chefchaouen to Tangier?

Thanks for all the info, zohor! I appreciate it!

North Ayrshire...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus schedule from Chefchaouen to Tangier?

I looked up the CTM website....

There are only two buses from Chef to Tangier at 1515 and 2030 and their private bus station is miles from the city centre on Route de Tetouan, so you will need a Petit taxi to get into town, there are always plenty of 'sharks' with inoperative meters parked up on the rank nearby.

I looked up my diary..........

Nejme Chamal has more departures , at 0645, 0830, 1000, 1400, 1515, 1800. The empty 1515 bus usually lies in wait for the arrival of CTM from Fes, which can be anything up to 40 minutes late, in order to poach impatient passengers for Tangier giving up the CTM 1515 as a lost cause!

Both bus companies operate from the Gare Routiere, Chef, at the foot of the steep hill Ave Maghreb Arabe, here is a picture of a Nejme bus, they are actually ex-CTM Volvo coaches, sold on when CTM got a brand new Scania fleet.

travellerspoint.com/photos/…

The Grand taxi rank for Tetouan and Tangier is on the junction of Ave de la Resistance and Ave Fes, a short hop down from Plaza Mohammed V, the square with the restored fountain, at the foot of Avenida Hassan 2, I don't know the fare but it will depend on how many others want the taxi and each will pay an equal share of the collective fare.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus schedule from Chefchaouen to Tangier?

Thanks, Kaptainsensible! Great info. I appreciate it

Rijswijk, The...
Level Contributor
9 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus schedule from Chefchaouen to Tangier?

The first bus from Chefchaouen is indeed at 6:45. From Tetouan Gare Routiere there are regular buses all day. The CTM has its own busterminal uphill while Gare Routiere in Tetouan is downhill. You can take a petit taxi in between.

Reply to: Bus schedule from Chefchaouen to Tangier?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chefchaouen