We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chefcaouen to Cadiz

Level Contributor
3 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Chefcaouen to Cadiz

I'm planning a March 2018 trip that will include traveling from Chefchaouen to Tangier. I'm having trouble confirming when a bus will run from Chefchaouen to Tangier. Is CTM the best company, and do they have only afternoon and evening routes to Tangier, or can I get one in the morning? I plan to take the ferry to Tarifa before going on to Cadiz by bus and was hoping to do that all in one day. Is that reasonable or should I plan to overnight in Tangier or Tarifa? I am 65 and traveling solo, so I'm very safety and culturally conscious and don't want to travel alone after dark. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Chefchaouen
Chefchaouen
Tangier-Tetouan Region, Morocco
Tangier
Tangier
Tarifa
Tarifa
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Cadiz
Cadiz
Costa de la Luz, Spain
7 replies to this topic
North Ayrshire...
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chefcaouen to Cadiz

You came to the right place for information, I'm 68 and have never had any reservations about travelling alone in most parts of the third world, including Morocco, and including travelling alone after dark, specifically lurching from one dodgy Tangier or Casablanc bar to the next.

Back on track now, so the best place for you to be is the Gare Routiere (bus station) in Chefchaouen, at Avenue Maghreb Arabe, at precisely 3 pm when both CTM and Nejme Chamal bus companies compete for your 50 dirham ticket to Tangier, CTM only offer one evening bus at around 8 pm, but the journey takes three hours and you will arrive in Tangier at their remote private bus station ( Gare des Voyageurs) on the Route de Tetouan around three miles from the the city centre well after dark and with lots of venal Petit taxi drivers in your face demanding extortionate fares to convey you to the city centre ( I'm writing from recent previous experience here)......the Nejme Chamal independent bus operator offers earlier departures at 0645, 0830, 1000, 1400, 1515 and 1800, so take your pick, and their buses terminate at the convenient Gare Routiere ( main city bus station at Place Al Jamia Al Arabia, ) only a short ten minute walk to the city centre or fifteen minute walk to the Tangier ferry port.

I would recommend staying overnight in an inexpensive hotel in Tangier, close to the port, for a planned early morning escape on the hydrofoil to Tarifa, thus avoiding any annoying touts wanting to sell you tickets at any of the agencies around the port area where they will receive commission, the touts are not early morning people and will be sleeping off the excesses of the night before. Buy your ferry ticket from either FRS or Intershipping, they have offices in the old TANGER building just outside the port entrance, this used to be Tangier's only railway station.

When you arrive at Tarifa make enquiries as to bus connections onward to Cadiz, there is a small bus station in Tarifa, or just take one of the many white taxis parked up around the port.

For more specific information on Spain it's better to switch over to the Tripadvisor Spain forum, my knowledge of Spain is only that of my own personal bus and rail journeys in the Andalucia region.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Tangier
Tangier
Chefchaouen
Chefchaouen
Tetouan
Tetouan
Tarifa
Tarifa
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Cadiz
Cadiz
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Level Contributor
3 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chefcaouen to Cadiz

Thanks very much; this is exactly the kind of info I need.

Another question - Unfortunately I speak only English. How much of a problem is this going to be at ticket places such as the bus stations? I have a smart phone so I will have access to poor translation that way, but nothing else unless I find someone who can help.

Also, I always buy a sim card for data when traveling in a different country so I can have constant secure access when I want it. After arriving at the Marrakech airport, do you have any idea where I might find a phone store or vendor where I can get a sim card?

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
North Ayrshire...
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chefcaouen to Cadiz

Whoever sells you a ticket at the bus and train stations will speak enough English to complete the transaction, it's a simple process of stating your destination and the departure times and handing over the cash dirhams, if you are not too confident write these essential details on a piece of paper and hand it to the ticket clerk, if you get into a fankle someone who has a better grasp of English will be summoned to assist, I've watched this MO in action a few times when there was a communication problem.

I've also personally encountered this problem in Spain when buying bus tickets, because I can't speak Spanish, but I have always found the ticket personnel can speak surprisingly good English.

I'm not familiar with Marrakesh airport, but from what I've read on this forum there will be no shortage of SIM cards on offer, go to a Inwi or Maroc Telecom shop with your passport and buy a local card for around 100 dirhams which will get you plenty of data which can be topped up if you run out and need more, make sure the agent connects your phone to the internet before leaving the shop, this could be tricky, the instructions on the temporary contract are only in Arabic and French, there is no need to tip the agent, this is part of the service.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chefcaouen to Cadiz

Going from Marrakech to Chefchaouen is a long trip. It will take you maybe 8 hours.

Most bus station and train station employees don't speak any English, or very little. I'm American and when I go to Morocco, 95 percent of the people I encounter don't speak English. At least not enough to have an actual conversation.

I recently went from Chaouen to Tangier via grand taxi. One seat in that shared taxi cost me 70 dirhams. It takes 2 hours instead of 3 hours by bus. The shared grand taxi only leaves when all 6 seats are full. I only use the new minivan edition, not the ancient Mercedes taxi.

I use an Orange simcard when I'm in Morocco. You can get data in Chaouen but it will be slow and spotty. Generally in Morocco you have to be in a city to get a good data signal.

The Tangier city port is being renovated and might be ready by March 2018. Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 05 November 2017, 01:46
Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Chefchaouen
Chefchaouen
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Tangier
Tangier
North Ayrshire...
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chefcaouen to Cadiz

Many cafes, restaurants and hotels in Morocco now offer free Wifi ( pronounced "weefee" ) for clientele, and in Chefchaouen I found the holy grail, Hotel Atlas Chaouen, opposite the Azilan camping site at the top of the steep Rue Sidi Abdelhamid, I did not stay in this hotel but frequented the large lounge bar each evening, it was a pleasant experience with no beer hustlers and the stable Wifi free with no access code required, the pool terrace commands a panoramic view of the mountain above and valley below, you will need a Petit taxi to reach the hotel from the town centre, but weather permitting, it's an easy walk back downhill........

travellerspoint.com/photos/…

On my last evening there was some sort of dinner party in progress upstairs, so one of the waiters brought me a massive plate of free tapas, because I was a regular drinker spending lots of money at the bar and there was surplus food available from the function upstairs!

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Chefchaouen
Chefchaouen
Hotel Atlas
Hotel Atlas
158 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Chefcaouen to Cadiz

For a relaxing drink, is Hotel Atlas better than the Parador? I think those are the only 2 places in all of Chaouen where alcohol is served.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Parador
Hotel Parador
212 Reviews
Chefchaouen, Morocco
North Ayrshire...
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chefcaouen to Cadiz

The Hotel Parador is suitable for a relaxing drink, but local fake guides are well-known for arriving in search of suitable "Fall Guys" who might be persuaded to furnish them with free beers in return for local geographical and (dubious) historical conversational information, which would be more accurately sourced from a decent guide book such as Rough Guide to Morocco, or Lonely Planet, so these chancers have to be consigned to the nomination of local beer hustlers. The lazy waiter, Omar, is also on the scent of tips for doing next to nothing, he will be either running errands for customers who have run out of cigarettes to the shop across the square for more smokes, if not engaged in this little hustle he will be too busy watching the TV.

The situation is actually worse in the only other alcohol "palace"......Bar Oumou Rabie, Avenida Hassan 2, there is a small bar inside the elegant wood carved door and a restaurant upstairs with excellent viewpoint of prospective mugs arriving in the bar below, this is where the major-league beer hustlers hang out.......

travellerspoint.com/photos/…

So, these are the only three alcohol outlets available in Chefchaouen, one bit of good news is that if you want a carry out of beers or a bottle of wine this is readily available in Bar Oumou Rabie, much to the despair of the thirsty local hustlers watching me fill up my day bag with booze intended for personal use back at the hotel.

If you enjoy pub-crawling it's better to wait until arriving back in Tangier, much more civilised and less confrontational!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Parador
Hotel Parador
212 Reviews
Chefchaouen, Morocco
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Chefchaouen
Chefchaouen
Tangier