We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casablanca to tangier transportation advice ?

1 post
Save Topic
Casablanca to tangier transportation advice ?

I want to go from casblance to tangier and from tangier to chefchoun

6 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
734 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Casablanca to tangier transportation advice ?

Take the train. It's a 6 hour journey to Tangier.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casablanca to tangier transportation advice ?

A new high speed train is in the final stage of testing, and will cut the travel time from Casablanca to Tangier to only 2 hours. Suggest you look for when it starts to run.

bbc.com/news/av/world-africa-38471392/all-ab…

Level Contributor
734 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Casablanca to tangier transportation advice ?

I guarantee the new train will NOT take 2 hours. It will be more like 4 hours. Nothing is ever on time in Morocco, and the new train is only from Tangier to Kenitra. You have to change trains in Kenitra until a few more years when they complete the second phase.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Casablanca to tangier transportation advice ?

FreeYourMind117, curious about what information you possess to say that the train will take double the time? From what I've read, the tracks between Tangier and Kenitra have been replaced, and that the tracks between Kenitra and Casablanca have been upgraded, allowing the new train to continue from Kenitra at a lower speed than the higher speed on the new track, but still a substantial improvement, bringing the travel time to 2 hours (The upgraded tracks between Kenitra and Casablanca will be completely replaced in the next year or 2, allowing for higher speeds for that leg). I've read that the upgraded tracks between Kenitra and Casablanca allow the same train to now travel on that leg, too. Do you have information that disputes what the mainstream press is reporting? Not doubting the possibility that they are wrong, just interested in the source.

Anyway, I would think that any delays you allude to for the new 2 hour trip would also apply to the current 4 hour trip, making them both longer.

The other interesting thing I read is that in a couple of more years, the fully replaced track will allow the trains to travel from Tangier to Casablanca in only 1 1/2 hours.

Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Casablanca to tangier transportation advice ?

I would recommend the CTM bus directly from Casablanca to Chefchaouen, check http://www.ctm.ma/

You can check a private tours agency to take care of your transfer.

Have a nice trip

Level Contributor
734 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Casablanca to tangier transportation advice ?

Rick E, sorry for the late reply, but here is my answer. First of all, the current train ride between Tangier and Casablanca does NOT take 4 hours. It takes 6 hours. I've taken that train 4 times and only once it took 5 and a half hours. The other 3 times it took 6 hours.

Secondly, the new train is advertised as taking 2h45, not 2 hours. So close to 3 hours. Except, the reality is different. It will be about 4 hours. They exagerate things a lot in Morocco. It's not going to work so smoothly.

Here is another example. They say the train betwee Asilah and Tangier takes only 45 mins. This is rarely true! The train is often late, sometimes by a half hour. Then, the train stops and sits in the track in the middle of the journey and waits for another train to pass by, because there is only one track.

Another different but related example: if you pay for a 12 Mb/s second internet connection in Morocco, the actual download speeds are much slower if you test it.

If they say that something is being built and will open in 2015, in reality it will open in 2020 because almost nothing is on time in Morocco.

This new train for example is already 4 years behind schedule. If you think it will take 2 hours to travel between Tangier and Casablanca, it's just a complete exageration. Not realistic at all in Morocco. Just like they say the conventional train takes 4 hours when in reality it takes 6 hours.

Edited: 03 December 2017, 20:27
Reply to: Casablanca to tangier transportation advice ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted