We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

talking with someone from tagged page from lagos, Nigeria

tracy
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
talking with someone from tagged page from lagos, Nigeria

I met a friend on my tagged page from Lagos, Nigeria after reading some terrifying stories about people dating Nigeria's online it scared me.

The man (Ola) i am speaking of never asked me for anything, we both call each other, & chat on yahoo. he's a Christian man, actually he have sent me things from Nigeria.

He wants me to visit with him in Nigeria before he comes out to California. He is actually waiting for his visa to get approval. He seem to be a real nice Christian man never talk inappropriately to me at all.

My question is what do you think about this? does this man sound familiar to anyone, is Lagos, Nigeria a safe place to visit?

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,800 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: talking with someone from tagged page from lagos, Nigeria

Well not all Nigerians are bad, in fact, I know a few who are actually very nice people.

Is this person a Nigerian? Do you have his picture?

Do you do video chat with him online? Is he the same person in the picture?

It could be that he is interested to get a foreign spouse, who can give him a better life that what he could get in Nigeria...

Just be careful if he asks you for money, and don't fall for common scams, some examples are -

Can't get visa due to some administrative problems (eg BTA fees), asks you to send money to some agent

Don't have money to buy ticket, ask you to send money to travel agent

Trip gets postponed due to some accident or illness, asks you to send money to doctor or hospital

tracy
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: talking with someone from tagged page from lagos, Nigeria

yes he has sent a photo to me he is the same man on the photo. we both webcam when were chatting. and we talk to each other on the phone all the time.

At this moment he never asked me for anything but a photo of myself. He is from Nigeria.

Have you know Nigeria's to be able to get there own visa to come over here? he applied for his own. He wants me to come so that i can see what Lagos, Nigeria looks like and met his family before he comes out this way. thank you for responding

London
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: talking with someone from tagged page from lagos, Nigeria

Hi Lisatracy22

You don't say where your from but he will be able to apply for a visa and providing he meets the criteria will have no problems leaving the country.

If your planning to travel to Nigeria to visit home his family etc then book and independent trip i.e. Your own flights a hotel transfers to the hotel etc and get him to meet you there.

Would you go to a complete strangers home in you home country?? Why travel off to a foreign country and do just that?

Theres a woman on the Ghana forum just found out shes been ripped off for $1000's from a guy she met on a Christian dating site because some one claims they have morals doesn't necessarily mean they have.

tracy
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: talking with someone from tagged page from lagos, Nigeria

I am from California. what criteria does he have 2 met in order to receive his visa?

I planned 2 stay in a hotel, sorry i didn't mention that. the hotel prices seem high (costly). any good hotels to stay in?

I understand what your saying about someone confusing 2 be a Christian. Satan was the first person 2 be in a church. he talks the talk of a Christian & i don't feel any negative spirits, but i still want 2 be very careful that's why i am asking 4 opinions. Your right you don't truly know a persons morals until you have been around them. Sorry about that lady in Ghana. He have never asked me for anything. I hope he doesn't my answer would be no. That is a turn off 4 me when a man ask a woman 4 money my golden rule is no. Unless we have dated 4 years then i make them right out a promise letter to repay back.

Do you think i should wait & not goto Nigeria by myself or wait 4 him 2 get his visa & come out to California then travel back with him oneday to see his country.

Thank you 4 your honesty.

London
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: talking with someone from tagged page from lagos, Nigeria

Hi Lisatracy22,

Every country will have different requirements here in the UK you stand a better chance if you have a business or family as theres a need to return, also a requirement of a bank account with funds in

some people arrive on visitors visas some on work or student visas your best bet is to contact your embassy to see what they require. Having said that if hes in the process of applying he must be aware of what requirements he needs.

I really cant say whether or not you should go like I said make all your arrangements and you will be ok if things don't work out the way you hope least you can have a holiday in safety.

Whatever you decide keep your witts about you (",)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: talking with someone from tagged page from lagos, Nigeria

All i can add on here is that although the hotels in Lagos (and NIgeria in general) are expensive, if you can afford them you should book them. When i went last year we stayed in a really cheap place near the airport & although there was nothing really wrong with the hotel i wouldnt have wanted to stay there by myself (i had my husband with me!) - it would be good to see his country & his culture, i know it was good to see my husbands, so if you do go enjoy & just keep your wits about you!

7. Re: talking with someone from tagged page from lagos, Nigeria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Lagos