We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccines needed?

essex
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Vaccines needed?

Hello, I will be staying in Aguas Calientes overnight to visit Machu Picchu. I am getting mixed messages from my gp and travel nurse about which vaccines I would need for my trip. Most say that yellow fever and rabies are not required - yellow fever not necessary for stays over 2300m altititude. However, Aguas Calientes is only just over 2,000m, therefore might yellow fever be present here? Should I get the jab just in case?

My gp recommends it even though I will only he staying in Lima, cusco, Machu Picchu and Aguas Calientes but the travel nurse says it's not necessary - also very confusing when looking on google!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

1 reply
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,433 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccines needed?

I hope they also recommended you update your tetanus booster, and have gotten the Hep A vaccine.

Whether to get the YF vax is up to you, depending on your tolerance for risk. But consider that the vaccine is regarded as good for life and wherever you may travel, and if you get the universally-accepted "yellow card" (proof), you will be able to travel freely between countries (some countries are very strict about providing proof upon entering, if you are traveling from an endemic country).

Reply to: Vaccines needed?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aguas Calientes