We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time needed for bus from MP to AC train station

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
315 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Time needed for bus from MP to AC train station

Hey TA peeps

How long would I need to catch the bus down from the ruins to the train station on a Monday?AFAIK this is a 30 min ride. Are the lines crazy around 1?My train leaves at 15:20 pm, so I take I have to be at the station 30 mins before. Is taking the 2 pm bus cutting too close?

TIA

8 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,306 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time needed for bus from MP to AC train station

The buses do not run on fixed times. There is no 2pm bus. They go every few minutes. Mid day lines are not bad and the ride is only 20 min. But you need to be at the station ahead of time. I'd leave about 90 min before your train departure time at latest.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
315 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time needed for bus from MP to AC train station

Thank you and happy Friday wes032!

Last check

Would you recommend a train straight to poroy(3pm/$97) or to Olly(20:00/$67) at night? And why?

Also, any good hostels near poroy station or is centro better? If latter, how far is centro(pavitas) near the train station?

TIA

Edited: 15 September 2017, 20:55
Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,075 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time needed for bus from MP to AC train station

The Ollantaytambo station is almost always the better option for several reasons;

1 - There are more trains to choose from with the Ollantaytambo station.

2 - It is generally cheaper to use the Ollantaytambo station and then bus or colectivo transport back to Cusco, than take the train to Poroy, where you will still need transport back into Cusco.

3 - There is no time savings in choosing the Poroy station, both options will normally get you into Cusco at about the same time.

4 - Due to limited luggage storage on the trains, you are likely going to need to store some luggage for the trip, if stored in Ollantaytambo, then you will need to return there anyway.

To the best of my knowledge, there is not much in the way of accommodations in Poroy, maybe a few local hostels, you would be better off staying in Cusco.

Mentioned in this post
Ollantaytambo
Ollantaytambo
Sacred Valley, Peru
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Time needed for bus from MP to AC train station

We are arriving late at AC one night before the MP trip. And we are planning to take an early bus to get to the top. Aiming to see the sunrise.

My research shows we need to get up early like 3-4am to catch the shuttle bus to get to the top to see sunrise.

Do you know whether we can buy the shuttle bus tickets online?

Antananarivo...
Level Contributor
385 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time needed for bus from MP to AC train station

http://consettur.com/reservas/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,306 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time needed for bus from MP to AC train station

You can’t see the sunrise. The site doesn’t open early enough. Plus it’s in the mountains so the sun is behind hills for a long time after sunrise. You can see it peak over the mountains but don’t get the colors line on a flat horizon sunrise

Toronto
Level Contributor
4,429 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time needed for bus from MP to AC train station

It is very unlikely that you will see a good sunrise at MP. It is not the sunrise time for Peru that you should be thinking about but at what time the sun will come up over the mountains that surround MP. In most of the days, it will be hidden by the mist and/or clouds.

In terms of buses, I think the first bus leaves AC around 6 AM. Of course, you can take the steps up earlier. There is a walking path from AC to the MP entrance, which is a straight climb up.

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,075 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time needed for bus from MP to AC train station

Actually the first bus up from Aguas Calientes departs at about 05:30, but depending on the time of year, you could have to get in line between 03:30 and 04:30 if you actually want to try and get that first bus.

Mentioned in this post
Aguas Calientes
Aguas Calientes
Machu Picchu, Peru
Reply to: Time needed for bus from MP to AC train station
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted