We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather, Cusco & Machu Puchu

texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Weather, Cusco & Machu Puchu

All the guide books talk about the wet season & the dry season, but nothing about the average temperature. We will be in Aguas Calientes for 2 nights then in Cusco for 2 nights at the end of May.

Just how big a coat do we need to bring for nighttime? Traveling with 2 ladies who tend to get cold very easy. Thanks for your help.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather, Cusco & Machu Puchu

Layers is still the best way to go.

We visited in Sept. -- similar temperatures, I think. We were trekking the Inca Trail, but you will need similar clothing in Cusco & AC.

We wore: trail pants, CoolMax t-shirt, long-sleeve camp shirt, lightweight fleece, Goretex shell. At night, we wore all this, added a warm hat & possibly gloves. During the day, you might be down to shirtsleeves, at noon in the sun (sunhat & sunscreen then). Layering helps you maintain comfort as temperatures change throughout the day.

You probably don't need a big, puffy jacket. But cold-natured ladies might want warm pajamas or long johns for sleeping, especially in Cusco.

Add a lightweight plastic poncho just in case it rains. You can buy them cheaply at your local outdoors/camping store, or on the streets in Cusco.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather, Cusco & Machu Puchu

www.weather.com/weather/local/PEXX0008

Check forecasts Cusco can get in the low 30s

nice water repellant coat with rain hood if possible

Av temp in the 40's

NY
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather, Cusco & Machu Puchu

Aguas calientes is close to the jungle so during the day is warm, but at night it gets chilly sometimes for the humidity.

It also depends on what season you are in the temperature at night in the wet season gets a little colder.

I went in July so took a light warm jacket something small but i went in the dry season.

But for Cusco i needed a bigger one 'cause its really cold in the mornings and in the nights.

There is a north face jacket that is divided on 2, a light one and after you can attach the big one for the Cusco nights so i recommend that one.

I'm not sure about which months belong to what season but there's general info about the weather here cuscoperu.com/cusco/…climatemachupicchu maybe

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
228 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather, Cusco & Machu Puchu

Aguas Calientes, is warm enough in the day that you can use a t-shirt. At night it does get quite cold, definately a nice warm coat.

Cusco, the days will be bright and sunny about mid sixties. Probably no rain, be be prepared. Night-times are quite cold, a jumper and a coat will do the trick.

5. Re: Weather, Cusco & Machu Puchu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2009, 13:40
Get answers to your questions about Aguas Calientes