We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peru Rail Schedule

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Peru Rail Schedule

I am looking to book tthe Peru Rail from Cusco to Aguas Calientes for January 2011 and I noticed that the only trains are very early in the morning, arriving into AC by 12 PM. Does anyone know if they add more in the afternoon?

There is not much to do in AC and we are arriving one day before we hike MP so we can see the sunrise.......if that is the only option, any suggestions for things to do in AC all day before the hike the next AM.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peru Rail Schedule

i did notice that the Peru Rail Ollanta option to AC has many more options of arriving later into AC. However, if I am sending my family who does not speak any Spanish and has never been out of the US-do you think a taxi from Cusco to Ollanta would make sense?

I am just trying to minimize the time in AC since it seems like the Hot Springs are dirty and AC offers nothing more?

How much would a taxi for 4 ppl be from Cusco-Ollanta train (taxi would be organized through the B&B I am putting them at)?

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peru Rail Schedule

They should be fine on a taxi to Ollantaytambo. Taxi drivers do this route all the time with non-Spanish speaking tourists.

Rates usually around $30, but maybe higher for 4 persons, as a larger vehicle may be necessary (some might only comfortably fit 3 passengers).

Also, taxi fares are often higher when booked through your lodging, but extra charge is totally worth the convenience, especially for those who don't speak Spanish.

Chiclayo, Peru
Level Contributor
805 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Peru Rail Schedule

Even if they take the train from Cusco they'll have to take a taxi to Poroy, which is where the station is located. It's no more difficult (and really very, very easy) to take a taxi to Ollantaytambo. This is also both quicker and cheaper than going from Cusco, and Ollantaytambo is a huge attraction itself.

Edited: 16 September 2010, 08:50
Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peru Rail Schedule

www.culturalimmersion.org good schedules

backpacker trains from Ollantaytambo are cheapest

taxi for 4 down/back from Cusco $20-25 no more each way

Happy journey.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peru Rail Schedule

www.peru-explorer.com/presidente.htm

go for a cheap river balcony room here

for your overnite..food shops etc. in AC

avoid the hot springs just concrete slabs

they truly are the worst in Peru

even though they only cost $3

they are SO not worth it

6. Re: Peru Rail Schedule

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2013, 03:44
7. Re: Peru Rail Schedule

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2011, 14:21
Get answers to your questions about Aguas Calientes