We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight - Aguas Calientes after Machu Picchu Trek

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight - Aguas Calientes after Machu Picchu Trek

Hi

I am planning on doing a standard Inca Trek in January 2015, the travel agent advised to stay an extra night in Aguas Calientes. I was wondering if this is necessary.

Thanks

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,571 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight - Aguas Calientes after Machu Picchu Trek

Not necessary, just recommended if you want to,visit MP at leisure after the long hike.

2. Re: Overnight - Aguas Calientes after Machu Picchu Trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 09:05
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
721 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight - Aguas Calientes after Machu Picchu Trek

My friend and I just did the 2 day hike. We hiked into Machu Picchu the first day and it's another 2 hours (down steep stairs) and across the valley into Aguas Calientes. Because it was getting dark our guide wasn't sure we could even use the stairs down but we would have to hike down the bus route which would have added 4 hours to the trek. So we opted to take a bus down into town- about $10 pp. By the time we got to town, checked into the hotel & ate dinner it was already 10pm. Then we got up early to see Machu Picchu and stayed at the The Sanctuary Lodge for several days just enjoying Machu Picchu.

My friend LOVED the town. It was her first time to S America and she just loved the little shops, the market the fact that it's a pedestrian town. I thought it was ok- I don't mind the market and restaurants lining the streets. It's clean and not terribly run down.

I do wish we had more time there- I would have liked to have done more exploring the market and the immediate area. If I had to do it again I would have spent another night in Aguas exploring.

Milford on Sea...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight - Aguas Calientes after Machu Picchu Trek

After reading Totally Latin America's website (along with other background research, we've decided to stay an extra night in AC. Can anyone recommend a decent budget hostel for 3 people?

Looking forward to exploring! Thanks

Level Contributor
664 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight - Aguas Calientes after Machu Picchu Trek

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g304036-d472273…

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight - Aguas Calientes after Machu Picchu Trek

Hi! I am going in May. I am interested in doing a two-day hike as well.

Could you tell me the contact info of the guide you had.

Thanks!

Edited: 29 March 2015, 08:16
Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,880 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight - Aguas Calientes after Machu Picchu Trek

We stayed at Sole de Oro on our last trip, clean and decent price.

8. Re: Overnight - Aguas Calientes after Machu Picchu Trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2016, 12:15
Get answers to your questions about Aguas Calientes