We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day-birding near Machu Picchu?

Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
163 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Day-birding near Machu Picchu?

Hello, all!

Curious if anyone has used Lost City Bird Guides (out of Aguas Calientes) for a 4-hr birding trek.

I am tentatively planning the last week of March, 2015. Any interesting birds (or, bears) that time of year?

I've seen the Andean Cock of the Rock in the Ecuadorian cloud forests, but not Peru. Interested in that bird, but all are treasures to see.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Linda

New York
Level Contributor
97 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Day-birding near Machu Picchu?

Re: Inkaterra Machu Picchu's birdwatching tour

My friend and I stayed at Inkaterra Machu Pichu Pueblo and took their birdwatching tour. It was fun, but didn't last long and we didn't see too much. It involved walking on trails within the sanctuary (which unfortunately aren't open to the public without a guide) and was about 45-50 minutes. Most of the watching came from standing in front of their birdfeeders (a hummingbird feeder and a banana feeder within the main courtyard areas.

On the trails we saw four Andean Guan (turkey type birds) and a few Highland Motmot.

At the feeders we saw 4 different type of Hummingbird (Inca Collar, Green and White, Violetears, and Chestnut Breasted) and at the banana feeder we saw Blue Gray Tanagers, Blue Necked Tanagers, Thick Billed Euphonia and an Oropendala.

Jen

Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
163 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Day-birding near Machu Picchu?

Sadly, I found no one. Inkaterra hotel told me I needed to be a guest to see their (tame??) Cock of the Rock. ;-(. I saw swallows at MP. My guide said there are 2 condors up at MP, but he rarely sees them. Wish I had happier news.

Windsor, Colorado
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Day-birding near Machu Picchu?

The El MaPi hotel in Aguas Calientes also offers a birdwatching walk for guests; it starts at 6:30 a.m. and lasts about 40 minutes or so. I did not go, wasn't aware of the early start time until it was too late! We were just there in May 2015.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Day-birding near Machu Picchu?

Is the Mandor hike worth staying an extra night in AC so we can get an early start to see the birds? Or should we consider hiking in the afternoon? How long would that hike take, or would we see cool birds with just a shorter version of the mandor hike?

15. Re: Day-birding near Machu Picchu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2016, 14:18
Get answers to your questions about Aguas Calientes