We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining in AC

s f
Shreveport...
Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dining in AC

Hello, I'm looking to find a ceviche restaurant that would serve dinner after a Day at MP. I cannot find a restaurant in Aguas Calientes that specializes in Ceviche(that would serve/be open at dinner time) Does anyone know of one?

Thank you!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,258 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining in AC

I am not sure if AC would be the best place to try Ceviche. Usually Peruvians like to eat Ceviche by the Ocean or at least close to it (Lima?) with a cold beer.

Did you Check The Tree House restaurant in AC?

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g304036-d1…

It looks like they serve Trout Ceviche & it has good reviews on TripAdvisor.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,158 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining in AC

The tree house was very good but not ceviche. Not a mountain dish. Have it in a big city. We had ours in Cusco and Arequipa which, while not on the coast, are at least big cities with more restaurants and where it's easier to get fresh fish.

Edited: 03 February 2015, 09:45
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,344 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining in AC

I'd be surprised if you found that in AC.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,775 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining in AC

Best bet for ceviche is the coast; personally I wouldn't even eat it in Cusco. I don’t believe that they run Cargo planes into Cusco (I have never seen one), meaning the freshest ocean fish you could get will be 24 hours old give or take, and I don’t think trout is a good fish for ceviche. That is probably the one dish in Cusco that we have had guests get sick on, so my recommendation is to enjoy ceviche along the cost, and when in the Andes’, enjoy Andean food.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining in AC

Never saw a *great* restaurant for ceviche in Cusco, Aguas Calientes, or around. Best to try it when you're back in Lima or at least somewhere along the coast (Arequipa, etc). I'm sure even the most mediocre Lima ceviche will be better than 99% of what you'd find in Cusco/Aguas Calientes.

With that said, some of the top 5-star hotels in Cusco have nice ceviche, though it'll hardly be their specialty. They offer it on their menus because they know tourists come to Peru looking for ceviche, even if the mountains are not the place to try it.

Connie

Lima te Llena: Peru Food & Art Tours

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,922 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining in AC

Hi,

Why not try the food of the region you are in, rather than something that is imported? That would be much more authentic and hopefully tasty!

Similarly, you are unlikely to get cuy by the coast.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining in AC

Actually, it is likely to get cuy in the coast. They are also bred there. But, totally agree with the ceviche and coast relationship, it's no wonder why there is no dedicated ceviche restaurant in AC.

s f
Shreveport...
Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dining in AC

All- Thank you so much for the inputs!! No Ceviche until Lima!!

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,618 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dining in AC

Lima has wonderful ceviche. I had it in 3 restaurants and it was good in them all. Cusco and AC are not good places for ceviche. We had some really good cuy (guinea pig) in AC and I recommend it for no other reason than it is local food. We went past a fewtival and they had tables with fried cuy piled on the tables. In fact, it didnt taste much different from KFC - just not much meat on it. The other thing we really enjoyed was alpaca. It is so tender and tasty. we had it a number of times in cusco, ollantaytambo and AC and in all cases it was very good.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,775 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dining in AC

I wouldn't try Cuy in either Aguas Calientes or Cusco; the better options would be in Izcuchaca or in Tipon which is actually known for its Cuy.

Get answers to your questions about Aguas Calientes