We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!

8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help!

would taking a train from cusco to aguas calienta, and then hiking to Machu pichhu make for a good trip? And also is it a reasonable hike? Also where could I purchased train tickets and would I need tickets on get to Machu pichhu?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!

You need to read some mor about MP.

Its better to catch the train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes and the the bus to take you to the MP site, its not a trek. For that you need to book the Inca Trail a fe months in advance and do either the 4 pr 2 day trek.

You can also hike the Huayna Picchu for which you will need to include on ypur MP entry ticket which you will need to buy in advance to ensure availability as only 400 can hike HP per day.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,156 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!

MP is not something you hike to unless you want to do a multi-day trek. From Agua Calientes, you can walk, but it's a dusty walk cutting across the road the buses take. No reason to do it unless you're on a backpacker budget and can't afford the bus.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!

Once you are in Peru is it easy to buy the trips to MP ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!

I arrive in Peru on the 19th for 6 weeks... anyone to join me travelling around the Peru ,Ecuador, and Bolivia ?

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help!

It is complicated to get all the moving parts together. Even local I know who would bring friends to cusco than try to book Machu Pichu on arrival would be stuck with one missing part. Look at finding a small local Peruvian tour company to help book. It won't cost anymore than doing it on your own and will take away a lot of frustration.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help!

Thanks that's what I intend to do when I get to Lima, as I have 6 weeks....to travel around, do I need yellow fever to visit Ecuador from Peru ?

7. Re: Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2016, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Aguas Calientes