We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days should I spend in New Delhi?

Shanghai, China
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How many days should I spend in New Delhi?

Hi, I will be in Delhi next month, I haven't worked out an itinerary yet. Since I will be travelling alone I plan to do yoga retreat instead,so I am thinking going to Rishikesh... however Delhi will be my first stop so I would like to explore the city for a bit. I want to avoid the touristy places where touts can be quite aggressive so I've heard... I am hoping to experience the everyday life in Delhi, or something unique, or walk on the street chilling out without a crowd of touts bothering you... Any interesting places out there that might satisfy my curiosity, yet safe at the same time? and how many days should I planning in Delhi? thanks very much!

Mentioned in this post
Rishikesh
Rishikesh
Dehradun District, India
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days should I spend in New Delhi?

Hi!

Delhi is a vey historic city with some great monuments and architecture, if you are keen about that.

Travel agents and touts arevan absolute NO NO. The best way to explore Delhi on your own and of course the safest way would be the Delhi Metro. It is cheap, efficient, safe and it connects almost all the must see attractions. You could either buy a pass or a travel card by which will you would avoid all the long queues at the ticket window.

5.30-7.00 pm is peak traffic hours on the Delhi Metro. So, plan accordingly!

You should plan atleast 3-4 days here, to get the feel of the place.

Safe travel :-)

Mentioned in this post
Delhi Metro
Delhi Metro
1,174 Reviews
New Delhi, India
Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
Level Contributor
5,115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days should I spend in New Delhi?

02 full days would be enough time to visit main attractions as well as markets of Delhi.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,882 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days should I spend in New Delhi?

The Delhi Metro is an awful way to experience Delhi because when you come out of the Metro station you are in a mess, you have to rely on auto-rickshaws who will harass the life out of you.

If you are on a budget, I highly recommend the HOP ON HOP OFF bus which takes you right to the monuments, you will be with other tourists and you will have a good experience, and it is also very inexpensive. Please look up the HOHO website. It goes to all the major attractions and to some less visited ones also. http://www.hohodelhi.com/

Mentioned in this post
Delhi Metro
Delhi Metro
1,174 Reviews
New Delhi, India
Delhi
Level Contributor
362 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days should I spend in New Delhi?

Delhi is a highly underrated city. I know most guides till about some time ago , did not recommend spending much time in Delhi but that is not correct at all. Of all the capitals in the world, it must be one of the most thriving cultural capital. there is so much here- history and culture, markets/bazaars, food, temples and on opportunity to experience India from close quarters,

I suggest spend atleast one full day just for tourist attractions of historical importance. Another day if you wanna explore more of city- markets, parks, foods etc

And ofcourse get on a private guided tour, its a lot easier to hire a car for the day in Delhi to take you around and even get a guide. Price wise the difference is not much unless you are on a shoe string budget , but the experience and convenience makes up for more than what you pay.

happy Planning!

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: How many days should I spend in New Delhi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2014, 22:39
Agra, Uttar...
Level Contributor
833 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days should I spend in New Delhi?

02 Days are more than sufficient to visit Delhi.

As suggested by Deepa Ji HOP ON HOP OFF bus will be a good option for you to experience Delhi.

Some of the metro stations are in the centre of the markets. You can take a metro to reach these markets directly & have a walk over there.

Regards

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days should I spend in New Delhi?

@ Deepa, the lady wants a daily life experience of Delhi and not interested in the touristy things. For that Delhi metro is the best!

One needn't really take a rickshaw/ auto......one can easily walk to the destinations. I have seen thousands of tourist who rather wale and experience the city, than take a auto!

Metro is Delhi's life line and whatever experience, pleasant or nly so pleasant......it's the feel of the city!!

Mentioned in this post
Delhi Metro
Delhi Metro
1,174 Reviews
New Delhi, India
new delhi
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days should I spend in New Delhi?

In Delhi you can spend easily couple of days

for example

one day for important monuments - Jama Masjid, Red Fort, Raj Ghat, India Gate, President House, Himayun's tumb, Qutub MInar, Lotus Temple etc.

One Day for museum : National museum, Museum of Modern Art Gallary, Mahatma Gandhi Smriti, Indira Gandhi Smriti, etc

One day for temple- religious - as you are thinking for yoga in the temple also got relaxation- Sikh Temple, Bangle Sahib Gurudwara, Sis Ganj Gurudwara, Nizzamuddin dargah, iskon temple, Swami Narayn Akshardham temple

One day for enjoy market, - chandni chowk market, sarojini nagar market, lajpat nagar market, Dilli Haat etc

One day even you enjoy to visit whole sale fruit, vegetable, chicken, fish market etc.

and even out of that you can spend more day to explore the India.

Rest enjoy nice plan for your trip and even do yoga in Rishikesh or dharamshala

Mentioned in this post
Raj Ghat
Raj Ghat
1,269 Reviews
New Delhi, India
Qutub Minar
Qutub Minar
10,556 Reviews
New Delhi, India
Gandhi Smriti
Gandhi Smriti
1,699 Reviews
New Delhi, India
Dilli Haat
Dilli Haat
892 Reviews
New Delhi, India
Rishikesh
Rishikesh
Dehradun District, India
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,452 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days should I spend in New Delhi?

You may prefer to go straight to Rishikesh the first day, and visit Delhi later when you're leaving the country and you're used to India travelling.. Delhi is not a nice intorduction to India.

Mentioned in this post
new delhi
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many days should I spend in New Delhi?

@pierre W - its not good delhi is not a right introduction to India - i am not agree with that. if you goes in wrong hands and meet the wrong people its doesn't mean delhi is not a right place for start for the tourist their tour in India.- Delhi is capital and here is many places to visit already mentioned in first post.

- most important you need to chose the right person, people or company for your trip.

regards

Mentioned in this post